Bad Rear Caliper? 94 GT

Sompin2do

Nov 30, 2004
TX
Heard my right rear brake scraping and after taking them apart I noticed the inside pad was down to the metal. Outside pad had some wear left and so did both pads on the driver side. No leaks from either side.
How do I know if that right side caliper could be bad?
Car is all stock as far as the brakes are concerned.

Thanks
Mike
:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Replace the caliper bolts when you swap out the pads. In that particular case, it's not a good idea to reuse the old ones at all. A small bend in either bolt can prevent the caliper from centering when the brakes are released. You should also check your e-brake cable and make sure it's not caught on or dragging on anything. The e-brake return spring should also be replaced whether it looks like it needs it or not. When you install the new caliper bolts, lube them up with high temp grease (a thin coat) and ensure that the dust boots are in good condition.

Definitely the slide pins are bad. WHen they stick inside the caliper bridge, they cause only one pad to wear down.

Replace pins if they are bad, otherwise pull them out, and relube them

The pins are coating in a sacrificial coating and it does wear down. I used to always clean my pins with #00 steel wool and grease them with synthetic grease till I learned this.

Thanks all! I had to replace the right rear caliper bracket because one of the pins was stuck! Put it in a vise and couldn't knock it out to save my life. You all are the best! :hail2: