bad rod or crank bearing???/

• Sponsors (?)

I hear some type of knocking but it sounds like from the water pump. It is freaking me out and I have to go to work tomorrow and I am afraid to drive it to the 35 miles I have to drive to work. It is very bad vibration but I thought knocking from rods or cranks are very loud. Man I am stumped

dustang90 said:
I hear some type of knocking but it sounds like from the water pump. It is freaking me out and I have to go to work tomorrow and I am afraid to drive it to the 35 miles I have to drive to work. It is very bad vibration but I thought knocking from rods or cranks are very loud. Man I am stumped

You should hear a tapping or knocking from the crank/rods. Wont be upfront, more from deep in the motor. Oil pressure should be lower than normal. Spun cam bearings dont make noise, but the lifters start tapping because of the lack of oil.

Vibration is probably a fouled plug or something. I once had a piece of carbon break off in my truck engine and ground a spark plug. I found the dead cylinder, removed the trash and viola' good to go.

Well I took the belt off to run just the motor and nothing else. And the vibration went away and when I put the belt back on I noticed that the fan is wobbling a whole lot. Either fan clutch or water pump shaft. The pulley is wobbling alot too.

Well I found the problem. The fan clutch i bent somehow I ran the car with the fan off and put the pulley back on the pump and it did just fine. Guys if you ever have really bad vibrations, just check and see if the fan clutch is wobbling. I didn't think that a fan clutch could cause such bad vibrations, it did almost sound like bad spark. I am so glad it wasn't internal

If your harmonic balancer is the oringinal one and the rubber is all cracked, and coming out, they can spin and everything is running out of balance... it will make noise like that.

These cars are gettin old, and mileage aside, if you have never replaced the balancer and the previous owner hasn't i'd have a good look at it. Mine only had 85000 miles and was wobbling and rubber all cracked and falling out.