bad "tick" in door when cold

timeless2

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vicus Vici
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
the Shadow Gallery
OK, so it's the first cold morning that I could not ride the cruiser to work. Out comes the Stang...(for those that don't know, it's an '04 GT).

I get about 5 miles down the Interstate (about 30 degrees out this AM) and the stupid driver's door has a tick in it, about where the latch and striker meet. It ticks whenever there is light stress on the frame/door, such as over small bumps or dips on bridges, etc.

It's freakin' annoying! I tried Silicone spray last year and the tick has returned....:fuss:

Any ideas on a feasible solution?

• Sponsors (?)

Take it for a drive with the door panel off. That will allow you to zero in on the source of the sound. Sucks but the are a lot of ticks, squeaks, rattles, etc in Mustangs :(

Are you sure it's the tick of cold rubber (door moulding) against the door frame of the body? I had a couple of annoying rattles in the past and one turned out to be the plastic sheath around the striker that was broken, another turned out to be a loose "anti-rattle" window guide (the one located near the top of the window sill, with the felt on it that pressed against the window when it went up and down to keep it steady) and the last one turned out to be a loose guide on the power window track.

You could always try adjusting the door striker slightly to see if it cures the problem, just make sure you're still following the natural body lines, or it may look funny and add some unneeded stress to your door pins. :)

Let us know.

Thanks, Gearbanger, et al....
I think I'm going to check out the window guide, as the regulator currently clunks after the Techies worked on my door last year. It's still under warranty, so I think I'll take it in and have it (the tick) and the regulator checked at the same time.

there's also a sensor (i think crash) box in the D side door on a bracket, I ended up having this knocking sound and it turned out to be that stupid blue box, might as well tear apart the door and start looking

is the sound coming from in the door itself or from the latch?

does it sound like something clonking in there (the door will act a bit like a guitar body and amplfy it) or does it sound more electrical like the actuator for the central locking or the the window motor?

Never know it might just be some thing stupid like a screw floating about in the bottom of the door. I actually found an entitre screw driver in one once, was a nice find, it was a Snap On screwdriver.

tomustang said:
there's also a sensor (i think crash) box in the D side door on a bracket, I ended up having this knocking sound and it turned out to be that stupid blue box, might as well tear apart the door and start looking

It's high, and near the rear edge of the door. Yesterday, I checked the window trim/weatherstrip piece and saw that a rivet was missing, which normally holds the piece in place against the window. I stopped by the Ford dealer on the way home and had their body shop guy slap a rivet in there. It stopped the tick mostly, but it's still prominent over some bumps and sways in the road. Is there another point where this trim piece fastens to the door and might be loose? Another rivet, perhaps, that is behind the door trim panel? I hate taking those panels off...
Thanks, Tom. :)

300bhp/ton said:
is the sound coming from in the door itself or from the latch?

does it sound like something clonking in there (the door will act a bit like a guitar body and amplfy it) or does it sound more electrical like the actuator for the central locking or the the window motor?

Never know it might just be some thing stupid like a screw floating about in the bottom of the door. I actually found an entitre screw driver in one once, was a nice find, it was a Snap On screwdriver.

No, it's coming from the top and rear part of the door, where the trim mounts. I thought it was the glass at first, because with the window down, it totally stops. Therefore, I don't think it is the latch. Good call, though, and thanks for posting to help! ;)

Hmmmmm, not sure what else it could be? Sometimes the glass rattles around inside the door a little bit if the tracks are worn, but since your car is so new, I doubt that's what it could be. Did you try spraying your tracks with some lithium grease to see it things get quieter?

No matter what, the door panel is probably going to need to come off. You're just going to have to make sure all of the bolts and rivets are tight and give the door a couple of whacks with your hand at the top and listed good to find it, I guess. :shrug:

Wish I could be of more help, but this is just one of those problems that you have to actually be there fist hand, to diagnose. :(

Gearbanger 101 said:
Hmmmmm, not sure what else it could be? Sometimes the glass rattles around inside the door a little bit if the tracks are worn, but since your car is so new, I doubt that's what it could be. Did you try spraying your tracks with some lithium grease to see it things get quieter?

No matter what, the door panel is probably going to need to come off. You're just going to have to make sure all of the bolts and rivets are tight and give the door a couple of whacks with your hand at the top and listed good to find it, I guess. :shrug:

Wish I could be of more help, but this is just one of those problems that you have to actually be there fist hand, to diagnose. :(
No sweat, Brian. I appreciate the suggestions and will give it a shot.