• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

Bah, I'm not allowed on the track anymore.

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpazHairlip
  • Start date Start date Jul 11, 2005
S

SpazHairlip

New Member
Jun 13, 2005
44
0
0
Jul 11, 2005
#1
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #1
So I raced last Wednesday at the drag strip for the first time with my 2005 GT Vert. I have a Steeda CAI and Xcal2 tune in her and other then that she’s all stock. Well I did a really slow first few runs because I was getting used to the tree, the sounds, babying the car, etc. I was in and around 13.94 and 13.73 for my first 2 runs. Well on my third run I got the hang of launching, deflated my rears a few pounds on some advice, took out the spare and jack (ya ya shut up) and friggin gunned her. 13.39 was my time (I bet I could do better too if I kept at it). When I picked up the slip, they told me I couldn’t run anymore because my car did faster then 13.49, is a convertible, and I don’t have a roll bar. So now if I want to race anymore I need to get a roll bar lol. Is this common at all? I read it in the rules when I was thinking about signing up last week but I guess I didn’t think it would be an issue.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to put in a roll cage and what is involved?
 
O

oohsoobad2

Banned
Dec 17, 2004
127
0
0
Jul 11, 2005
#2
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #2
Hhmm... the track sounds pretty strict. By chance were you wearing a helmet ?? Usually if you have a helmet they will let you run pretty damn fast, I went 11.40 in my buddies car with just a helmet. I think the NHRA states anything faster than 13.49 requires a roll bar so I guess they are right. I wouldnt put one in, it makes the 'vert look $hitty with the top down...
 

Mickey21

New Member
May 10, 2002
43
0
0
Austin, TX
Jul 11, 2005
#3
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #3
Nice work, guess you'll need to get a roll bar installed. Not that I wouldnt have put something in there anyways... It's nice to see the track enforcing some sanity afterall. Kudos to them. If it is a rule, well glad about that too... Oh well... Safety first...
 

romans8:28

New Member
Nov 25, 2004
35
0
0
Jul 11, 2005
#4
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #4
Ya know somebody has to be a smart a** and ask so.........

why did you buy a vert to begin with if your into drag racing?
 
E

edgeplus

New Member
Dec 11, 2004
0
0
0
Jul 11, 2005
#5
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #5
What was your trap speed?

Great time btw!!!
 

bigcat

start with the upper hole, and if more traction is
May 1, 2005
3,015
1
79
7200 feet
Jul 11, 2005
#6
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #6
Nhra Basic Rules

heres a pdf for the basic rules. this is from an 1/8 mile tack, but you get the idea. also here is a time conversion for 1/8th to 1/4. according to these rules, 14 sec 1/4 converts have to have a roll bar....
 

Doc GTO

Member
Oct 23, 2004
610
0
16
Ocala, FL
Jul 11, 2005
#7
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #7
Nice times. I guess the new verts do not have ROPS (Roll over protection system). My wife's beetle had this and if the car rolls more then a cetain degree on the side the rear headrests kick out 3 feet to act as roll bars. Pretty slick if you ask me . . .
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
185
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
344
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
396
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Drivetrain 83’ Glx convertible C5 Trans help!
  • JacksonJared2113
  • Dec 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
463
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 26, 2025
JacksonJared2113
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?