Barn find score

JDSpeed

Sep 25, 2015
Looking over my chassis after I ripped some body pieces and what do I find? This little badge staring at me. Looks like I got me a Florida Cop car!

IMG_4265.jpg

Not bad for $1000.

Sorry... So excited, had to share with the few that "get it"
=]

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So......it's a 5.0 that has been ridden hard and put away wet with about 800,000 miles/ 4 million hours of idling. Is this about the heavy duty steering rack and oil cooler that is now 30 years old? What makes special services cars special?

Kurt

So......it's a 5.0 that has been ridden hard and put away wet with about 800,000 miles/ 4 million hours of idling. Is this about the heavy duty steering rack and oil cooler that is now 30 years old? What makes special services cars special?

Kurt
Tough crowd. Just sharing some MY cool stuff.. if YOU don't like it - what's the point of commenting that you don't think its worth commenting? Oh well, thanks for the comment!

Anyhow, I got two notches for $2000 one titled one not. That story. The one I showed is the '88 has no title, but has 5-lug/4 wheel disc conversion, built 8.8, LTs, 17x9s. Agreed, nothing special as I was just going to use the guts to throw on a clean '92 4 cyl. But since it's an SSP, I may just keep it and play with it.

I got a cop car basically for free - that's pretty cool to me.

Oh - and, it has a sweet HD power steering rack. :nice:

• Haha
It may not be a 'cop' car, ssp cars where used in different scenarios, they had them in the air force for pulling gliders type planes down the runway, that's what I read years ago, a 'cop' car will have several things unique like the speedometer will say calibrated on the face and a few other things I can't remember.
@FoxChasis may know more facts and if you go to foxchasis.com you can decode the buck tag or vin.

Tough crowd. Just sharing some MY cool stuff.. if YOU don't like it - what's the point of commenting that you don't think its worth commenting? Oh well, thanks for the comment!

Anyhow, I got two notches for $2000 one titled one not. That story. The one I showed is the '88 has no title, but has 5-lug/4 wheel disc conversion, built 8.8, LTs, 17x9s. Agreed, nothing special as I was just going to use the guts to throw on a clean '92 4 cyl. But since it's an SSP, I may just keep it and play with it.

I got a cop car basically for free - that's pretty cool to me.

Oh - and, it has a sweet HD power steering rack. :nice:

Busting people's balls is what I do best. I'd say you got your money's worth just selling the wheels. Speaking of which, I know someone interested in the 5 lug conversion. Having a decent set of wheels and tires is a huge plus. Shoot me a PM if you want to ditch some of the 5 lug stuff. And hey, a title is just scraping a vin tag out of one dash and sticking it in another.

Kurt

It may not be a 'cop' car, ssp cars where used in different scenarios, they had them in the air force for pulling gliders type planes down the runway, that's what I read years ago, a 'cop' car will have several things unique like the speedometer will say calibrated on the face and a few other things I can't remember.
@FoxChasis may know more facts and if you go to foxchasis.com you can decode the buck tag or vin.

I saw similar articles. Very cool they used to be the "U2" runner plan to land those bad boys.

Though, I did some fact checking and found Florida Highway Police specific colors on the car (under qtr glass, in trunk etc), as well as holes in the dash drilled for the radio, two holes for 2 throttle cables(one for VASCAR radar detector) and a couple other cool things like seat bracing. Apparently these things were used for drag racing because of added "frame stiffening"- which is why someone planned to do just that and race.

Still confirming numbers but VIN matches that specific time (88-89) as well as when they were pulled onto the force in FL(DSO-24-0202 designates FL use)

Busting people's balls is what I do best. I'd say you got your money's worth just selling the wheels. Speaking of which, I know someone interested in the 5 lug conversion. Having a decent set of wheels and tires is a huge plus. Shoot me a PM if you want to ditch some of the 5 lug stuff. And hey, a title is just scraping a vin tag out of one dash and sticking it in another.

Kurt

Haha, we have very similar humors. I say what people won't. Still a bit new to the site, and getting used to everyone. But I appreciate that candor and honesty as thats the same level I operate on and see us becoming good buddies :rock:

BUT - can't part with that 5-lug... Thanks for the offer. Really that, and the wheels are why I made the drive in the first place. I said "even if they're both duds I can part my way out of it".

Reactions: 1 user
KF201528 is a 1989 unmarked Florida Highway Patrol SSP
It is in a group of 12 consecutive 5.0L coupe VINs.

1FABP40E3KF201520
1FABP40E5KF201521
1FABP40E7KF201522
1FABP40E9KF201523
1FABP40E0KF201524
1FABP40E2KF201525
1FABP40E4KF201526 - Florida Highway Patrol (unmarked SSP)
1FABP40E6KF201527
1FABP40E8KF201528 <<<<<<
1FABP40EXKF201529 - Florida Highway Patrol, Unit #FHP0144 (unmarked SSP)
1FABP40E6KF201530
1FABP40E8KF201531
-----------12-----------

Haha, we have very similar humors. I say what people won't. Still a bit new to the site, and getting used to everyone. But I appreciate that candor and honesty as thats the same level I operate on and see us becoming good buddies :rock:

BUT - can't part with that 5-lug... Thanks for the offer. Really that, and the wheels are why I made the drive in the first place. I said "even if they're both duds I can part my way out of it".

I'm actually donating everything from my SN to this 5 lug conversion. I am short a set of spindles, one set of rear brake pads, one set of wheel hubs, and a set of 16" tires. I also need an SN95 axle with a useable housing. I'm upgrading my axle. So I am trying to get a junkyard axle to build my new axle, so I can give him my current axle with the Moser 28 splines and the 3.55:1 gear ratio. Dude just sold his Turbo 351 car he has had since high school to buy a 4 cylinder car for a Coyote Swap

Kurt

JDSpeed said:
... found Florida Highway Police specific colors on the car (under qtr glass, in trunk etc), as well as holes in the dash drilled for the radio, two holes for 2 throttle cables(one for VASCAR radar detector)
KF201528 was originally an unmarked FHP. It was painted white, per the 9L paint code on the buck tag. It was not two-tone (Cream and Black) FHP colors.

JDSpeed said:
DSO-24-0202 designates FL use)
DSO 24 (Jacksonvile FL district sales office) does not always mean the car was ordered from a dealer in Florida or used in Florida. At least one DSO 24 SSP was used in a county in Georgia.

• Useful

Kurt
Wasnt I the one getting the bad rap for busting people’s balls?
Now it’s a Medal of Honor?

• Surprised
If I were you I'd be trying to find a title for the ssp car. If the original gauge cluster is in there you've struck pay dirt sir.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
KF201528 was originally an unmarked FHP. It was painted white, per the 9L paint code on the buck tag. It was not two-tone (Cream and Black) FHP colors.

DSO 24 (Jacksonvile FL district sales office) does not always mean the car was ordered from a dealer in Florida or used in Florida. At least one DSO 24 SSP was used in a county in Georgia.

All of this information is great, I really appreciate the help! Makes sense, Going to plug away at the SSP sites and see If I can find some more information.

Last edited: