Basket case or worthy project.

Good paint and no rust? For a '67-'68 probably a bit more than a '65-66, somewhere around 15k+...but that will vary a lot depending on whether you are talking factory v8, whether its been restored(and when it was restored) as well as what has been done to the engine, etc. I will be honest though, I would take a hard pass on a coupe if you care about resale value....even in the best shape with low original miles, they rarely bring more than 20k...in short though, running and driving but in need of at least a mild restoration 7-10k, needing no major metal work, with a paint job needing attention 10-15k, good running and driving condition with no rust and a good paint job 15-18k....show worthy paint job and a concours restoration(or low mileage original) 18-23k...anyone paying more than 23k for a coupe....there better be something really special about it, or it needs to be a fully built hot rod

• Sponsors (?)

Good paint and no rust? For a '67-'68 probably a bit more than a '65-66, somewhere around 15k+...but that will vary a lot depending on whether you are talking factory v8, whether its been restored(and when it was restored) as well as what has been done to the engine, etc. I will be honest though, I would take a hard pass on a coupe if you care about resale value....even in the best shape with low original miles, they rarely bring more than 20k...in short though, running and driving but in need of at least a mild restoration 7-10k, needing no major metal work, with a paint job needing attention 10-15k, good running and driving condition with no rust and a good paint job 15-18k....show worthy paint job and a concours restoration(or low mileage original) 18-23k...anyone paying more than 23k for a coupe....there better be something really special about it, or it needs to be a fully built hot rod
I’m still always off unless I find the right deal , Just looking around I’ve found 2 within a couple hours of me for 12k. A decent one with a 302 and t5 but a color I hate, the other is a good color, 347 and c6, then it jumps to 23k for a California special , and then I’m seeing basic coupes with 289’s or 302’s and auto for 22-25k. some people just think these things are rolling gold.

Last edited:

View: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/708039389944839/

This is pretty typical of what you find for a 12k asking price....you could likely pick up something like this for about 10k with a little haggling though...not that this particular ad has much detail. Unless you really like the 67-68 body style that much more, I suggest a 65-66, you will save a couple thousand dollars at least, they just made a lot more of them. Personally I do like the 67-68 better visually, but I will buy a 65-66 any day over a 67-68 for more practical considerations...the differences are minor enough that they don't really bother me.

Adding door handles back to the red car would be easy, replace the doors. My '65 not only has the front speakers cut into the door, it has rear ones as well.... Grrrr, and they are rust free doors. You can buy skins, but not inners.

Here in OKC and Dallas, nice done coupes are in the 12k-18k range.

Adding door handles back to the red car would be easy, replace the doors. My '65 not only has the front speakers cut into the door, it has rear ones as well.... Grrrr, and they are rust free doors. You can buy skins, but not inners.

Here in OKC and Dallas, nice done coupes are in the 12k-18k range.

Wouldn't matter if you could buy inners...the grain makes it impossible to patch and look right. At that point you just have to buy new repo doors(or used ones in good condition if you can find them)

Oh I'm WELL aware...I would replace the whole inner, use my skins. Doesn't matter, they're not offered. Can't find doors, if you do, they're rusted out on the bottom inner and I've looked for 20+ years (not so much in the last 10-15). It looks like it's new doors for me, or patch the holes and cover all the embossed area with leather. A PO had carpet cut and edged and glued to the lower door, which helped, but still looked terrible. I've seen a fluted trim panel with door lights but it only goes up to the raised portion just under the door insert, exposing that raised portion, on my door that is missing as they cut up into the insert. BOOOO!!!

Hard to come up with decent doors at a decent price.

Maybe not the best but vinyl covers could be a budget option

1965-1966-mustang-door-skins-with-vinyl-8.gif.jpeg