Battery in the trunk?

chobracobra

Jun 29, 2004
jersey shore
I ordered an msd 6al ignition today and need to make room under the hood. The most obvious solution is move the battery to the trunk and mount it there. I was wondering...
1. Can the 4 guage audio battery cable going to my amps now, serve as the positive wire to the starter solenoid?
2. If that works, the battery ground can be mounted anywhere on the frame?
3. I also heard the block should be grounded to the frame too.
Could this work? Just trying to see if I can save a few bucks! :D
Thanks all!:cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

chobracobra said:
I ordered an msd 6al ignition today and need to make room under the hood. The most obvious solution is move the battery to the trunk and mount it there. I was wondering...
1. Can the 4 guage audio battery cable going to my amps now, serve as the positive wire to the starter solenoid?
2. If that works, the battery ground can be mounted anywhere on the frame?
3. I also heard the block should be grounded to the frame too.
Could this work? Just trying to see if I can save a few bucks! :D
Thanks all!:cheers:
1. The 4 ga wire for the amps will not be sufficient for the load of the alternator. I bought a kit that comes with 2 ga and i am going to upgrade to 0 ga welding cable.
2. It is best to mount it on a flat, dry and paint free area within 12" of the battery.
3. I believe the block ground is very important for EFI cars.

Anyone feel free to make amends on my answers.

0/1 welding cable is what i used and it works awesome. My ground is even bigger going from the battery down to the quad shock mount location. I am also grounded from my motor to the frame rail (4ga) and the back of the motor to the firewall (i think thats stock ground location).

I don't think there is any way you can get by with a 4ga cable for your positive battery cable!! Remember you need a ground just as big as your positive cable, so if your going to go with 0ga, make sure to get enough for your ground as well.

I used the kit from taylor that has 1/0ga wire and i've had no problems. Make sure you ground the little wire in the front that controls the computer. I believe its attached to the negative cable in the front, but once you move the battery you might lose that if your not careful.

kck6894 said:
unless you really want to move your battery why not put the MSD box somewhere else? I mounted mine under my pass seat.
Very good idea - it keeps the MSD box cool & dry.

Rear mounted battery ground wiring. Follow this plan and you will have zero ground problems.

One 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from battery negative post to a clean shiny spot on the chassis near the battery. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt it down to make the rear ground. Use a 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from the rear ground bolt to a clean shiny spot on the block.

One 4 gauge wire from the block where you connected the battery ground wire to the chassis ground where the battery was mounted up front. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt down the 4 gauge engine to chassis ground, make sure that it the metal around the bolt is clean & shiny. This is the alternator power ground.

Crimp or even better, solder the lugs on the all the wire. The local auto stereo shop will have them if the auto parts store doesn't. Use some heat shrink tubing to cover the lugs and make things look nice.

The computer has a dedicated power ground wire with a cylindrical quick connect (about 2 ½”long by 1” diameter. It comes out of the wiring harness near the ignition coil & starter solenoid (or relay). Be sure to bolt it to the chassis ground in the same place as you bolted the alternator power ground. This is an absolute don’t overlook it item for EFI cars

jrichker said:
Very good idea - it keeps the MSD box cool & dry.

Rear mounted battery ground wiring. Follow this plan and you will have zero ground problems.

One 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from battery negative post to a clean shiny spot on the chassis near the battery. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt it down to make the rear ground. Use a 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from the rear ground bolt to a clean shiny spot on the block.

One 4 gauge wire from the block where you connected the battery ground wire to the chassis ground where the battery was mounted up front. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt down the 4 gauge engine to chassis ground, make sure that it the metal around the bolt is clean & shiny. This is the alternator power ground.

Crimp or even better, solder the lugs on the all the wire. The local auto stereo shop will have them if the auto parts store doesn't. Use some heat shrink tubing to cover the lugs and make things look nice.

The computer has a dedicated power ground wire with a cylindrical quick connect (about 2 ½”long by 1” diameter. It comes out of the wiring harness near the ignition coil & starter solenoid (or relay). Be sure to bolt it to the chassis ground in the same place as you bolted the alternator power ground. This is an absolute don’t overlook it item for EFI cars

Where on the car is the battery grounded to from the factory?

kck6894 said:
unless you really want to move your battery why not put the MSD box somewhere else? I mounted mine under my pass seat.

I would think twice about mouting the MSD in the car. It messes with your stereo sound by interfering with the RCA's and power wires. If its an all out race car or you don't care about stereos, by all means do it. But if you have a $2000 stereo and all you hear is "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" you'll wish you never did.:nice:

I am in the process of doing the same thing. i am doing because I can mount my HID ballasts better and the MSD box. It also cleans up the engine bay and takes weight off of the nose and puts it where it is best suited, over the right rear tire. Plus I think it looks good in the Steeda battery box in the hatch.

LXSTASY said:
I would think twice about mouting the MSD in the car. It messes with your stereo sound by interfering with the RCA's and power wires. If its an all out race car or you don't care about stereos, by all means do it. But if you have a $2000 stereo and all you hear is "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" you'll wish you never did.:nice:

I run 3 amps and don't get any interfearance at all. I did at first but after I rerouted my wiring it was fine