Battery Power Drain

Rippo413

Mar 2, 2004
:shrug:

I've a 1992 Mustang LX 5.0, and my Mom's fiance replaced a battery in it before I purchased it, since then the battery has had a slow drain to it, I took the battery down to Schuck's and had it tested, one of the cells was dead so they replaced it for free. I put in the new battery and it still has a slow drain that will completely discharge the battery in 1-2 days. I just replaced the battery cables hoping that would be the problem but it still looks as if there is a power drain. Has anyone else had a problem like this or any idea as to what could be causeing the slow leak?

Another question is, does anyone else have the clunking noise in their gas tank? Whever I roll over a speed bump there's a lot of it going on, I thought it was stuff in the trunk shifting around, but took it all out and went over some more bumps. My Fiance and I ruled that it must be the gas pump, Ford does put the pumps in the gas tank right? Should it be making all this noise or did something come loose?

• Sponsors (?)

Rippo413 said:
:shrug:

I've a 1992 Mustang LX 5.0, and my Mom's fiance replaced a battery in it before I purchased it, since then the battery has had a slow drain to it, I took the battery down to Schuck's and had it tested, one of the cells was dead so they replaced it for free. I put in the new battery and it still has a slow drain that will completely discharge the battery in 1-2 days. I just replaced the battery cables hoping that would be the problem but it still looks as if there is a power drain. Has anyone else had a problem like this or any idea as to what could be causeing the slow leak?

Another question is, does anyone else have the clunking noise in their gas tank? Whever I roll over a speed bump there's a lot of it going on, I thought it was stuff in the trunk shifting around, but took it all out and went over some more bumps. My Fiance and I ruled that it must be the gas pump, Ford does put the pumps in the gas tank right? Should it be making all this noise or did something come loose?
Remove the neg bat cable and install a test light between the the terminal and the cable. If you have a draw this will confirm it. If so, start pulling fuses out one at a time until the light goes out. Now you have found your problem circuit. From there you will need to see what's on that circuit and trace it down from there. Remember to pull the courtesy fuse first. That will take care of the interior lights while you have the door openn looking for the draw.

As for the gas tank. There is a baffle in the tank that has probably come loose in the tank causing the noise. The purpose of the baffle is to keep the gas from sloshing over the fuel sending unit so the gauge will read accuratly while the car is in motion. Good luck. :nice:

I went down to Schucks and bought a test light, checked it before I removed the courtesy light fuse and that was the one! Thanks for the help, now I just have to figure out what one, or more, of the 6, are causing the problem. Any way of finding that out? Thanks again.
Derek

Rippo413 said:
I went down to Schucks and bought a test light, checked it before I removed the courtesy light fuse and that was the one! Thanks for the help, now I just have to figure out what one, or more, of the 6, are causing the problem. Any way of finding that out? Thanks again.
Derek
You need to find out what is run on that circuit and start checking those items. Make sure all your lights are turning off including the glove box and trunk if you have one. Dome or map lights also. :nice: