Battery Relocation Fail - HELP

Anti_Hero0932

Jan 29, 2012
LaGrange, MO
I need some help guys idk what’s going on with my car but I think I have a ground problem. Where did everyone ground their battery’s and blocks when you move your battery to the back hatch.

Also on the drivers side fender well there is a group of wires that are all black with a green tracer. All grounds. I would guess.

There is a black with a red tracer in that same bundle of wires. Is this supposed to go to the starter solenoid? I have noticed sometimes if I’m under the car working on it I will get a bolt of static electricity as well.

All in all I can’t get some of my digital gauges to work right so I’m trying to find out my problem I guess this is where I need to start.

Help help help

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I can tell yes. I did a wire tuck but I labeled everything. The only thing I can think of is the battery to body ground isn’t good enough so I’m gonna try to re do that tomorrow.

My AFR on my MS is reading almost exactly 1 AFR higher than the gauge. The gauge is correct and I have all the setting correct I’ve double and triple checked them even called the guy who sells them and he’s saying it’s all right and he thinks it’s a bad ground some where. I’ve seperated the 02 Heater ground from the controller ground as well. I’m getting to the breaking point with this thing

Yes sir comes out of the bottom of the hatch and is bolted to the frame by the upper control arm on the rear end. The at the front of the engine there’s a bolt I connected to and it goes over to the front frame horn. I’m wondering now if the bolt goes to the timing cover or the block now.

I think it’s 1/0 or bigger it’s the same size we use at work for 4000 LB cranes. It does crank over pretty good.

Like I said it’s really odd when I did my fuel pump I got shocked every time I touched the gas tank. Every once in a while I will get shocked when I get out of the car. But the battery never goes dead and it starts and charges just fine

The shocks your getting is likely static electricity, nothing to do with the battery.
Sounds like you have a body harness ground problem. You did connect the fender ground that went between the battery original place and the starter solenoid and the ground from the drivers side block to the firewall.

The one on the back of the head that goes to the firewall is connected. The one on then battery your talking about is the black with green tracer I’m pretty sure. I cut the end off and put a ring terminal on it and grounded it to the under fender well. Cleaned the pint off before it bolted it to the fender well.

well... i guess im going to check my ground strap at the back of the head mayb change the location of where it bolts to. and then run a ground wire from the back of the car to the front where my engine harness grounds are and see if that works... idk what else to do.

do you have any kind of diagram of what colors the grounds are? like i said theres a big bundle of black and green wires i have grounded to the frame rail. ive look through the harness again and dont see any other ones.

the other thing im wondering is if i have a wire thats supposed to go to the solenoid, grounded (lol)

i did check the location of the ground at the front of the engine from the block to the frame and is the correct location from what im reading on the inter webs.

i would agree with you on the engine harness i just need some way of checking them with colors or something i guess.