Bbk Cai & Maf

dwb

Oct 9, 2017
1990 5.0.. anyone put a BBK CAI on (oval filter) with BBK MAF.. and notice you have to turn the MAF housing so the sensor is in the 3 o’clock position rather than “12” (top)

Would rotating the filter itself change the air flow coming into the tube ?

Sensor up, car bogs down at 3500 rpm when you punch it. Sensor at 3 o’clock it’s a beast

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I doubt rotating the filter would change anything. It’s probably the bend in the tubing creating the need to put the maf in a particular position. Turbulence happens when the air takes the turn. So, at the maf location, air flow can be different on each side of the tube. So, rotating the maf housing puts the sensor where it more accurately measures air volume to coincide with given amount of fuel delivery.

Reactions: 1 user
Dump CAI then. Sily having to turn the housing like that. Stretch the crap out of the harness unless to separate it from the rest of the wires it’s packed with. And makes the build look... less clean.

I’ll grab a different CAI

Any recomendations ?

Stock airbox and tubing with KN filter. Some people remove the air silencer from the fender well side but benefits are debatable.

Reactions: 1 user
What is that? I can not hear you above my whistling BBK throttle body. :)
When I first installed it, I turned my BBK MAF to where others had said it ran best and have been very happy with it there. The PO had already put the Fender well CAI on it, so I left it on and adjusted it for clearances.
I do not have the large difference in diameter between the pipe and MAF like your pictures. It looks like those rubber adaptors shrinking and opening up could be creating turbulence.

Find yourself a screen to fit into this fitting between the pipe ends:

upload_2017-10-27_19-35-14.png