Been a long time - Stock 351W question

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Washington, MO
Hey folks, long time no post.

I have a question for a friend. He just bought a 73 XR7 Couger with a 351W 2v. He would like to give it a bit more pep without tearing into the engine for a cam heads swap. I suggested that maybe a dual plane 4 barrel intake and a small vacuum secondary carb. I have been out of this for quite awhile and the engines I have had have all been high performance. Is this sound advice? Would a small carb and like edlebrock performer be too much? thanks in advance for the help

• Sponsors (?)

I agree on the face of it that some gains can be had with headers/exhaust, intake and carb. I also agree that a strong ignition can help. However, I think he should be thinking longer term. What are his final goals? He should try to pick out parts that won't be replaced a second time if he gets more money. Either that or he should be patient, save up his money and do what he really wants. Ignition upgrades won't be wasted money, but an intake that works great on a mild 351W will be restrictive if he goes to aftermarket aluminum heads and a stroker kit. Same with exhaust.

Another potential gain is rear end gears, suspension and better tires for more traction, but all the same debate applies. Gears that will work great with a mild engine aren't the same as what you want for a higher performance application.

The stock cam is much more limiting than the stock heads. If he's short on money, the biggest improvement in feel will be gears. Go with 3:50s for a nice all around gear. The cam, intake, carb and headers need to change together. The Performer is too mild, as someone suggested go with the Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth and a 600 cfm Holley/Summit/Autolite carb. He can easily get 320 HP with stock heads and compression with a fairly mild performance cam/induction setup, but that's about the limit IMO. If he bumped the compression he could use a bigger cam and maybe get 370 or so HP with the stock heads (with a good valve job and maybe some exhaust port matching), but any number of aftermarket alum heads would bump that up by another 25 or 30 HP.

All the above is true...Check your local craigs list for an edelbrock intake, and 600 holley. That will be a good start. Then as funds allow you can spring for headers and dual exhaust. The Ford duraspark ignition can be had for dirt cheap, if there is a U-pull it yard near by...

I am doing a head / cam swap in a couple weeks if you would want my old ones. They are alum heads, Edelbrock rpm generics. 2.02" intake 1.54" exhaust and around a 58cc chamber. I will have two cams and the lifters to match. One fairly mild and one with a little more thump. They are flat tappets that have already been broken in. Going roller on mine. I'd do it on the cheap for a fellow stranger. That would be the best bang for the buck. Add a Stealth intake, decent carb and some headers and you would be surprised by the difference. You would have to check the compression ratio to see if they would work though.