Beginner's mod order?

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
Anybody know what's the best bang for the $$$ if your starting to mod a completely stock car?

I know one of the top mods would be CAI.. other than that I would be at a loss..

• Sponsors (?)

CAI would not be a first choice of mine.

as GT said, gears and some exhaust stuff would likely be first.

good luck.

Scorcher2005 said:
"Current Mods
AFR 185 Heads, TKO Trans, Performer RPM II Intake, Bassani Exhaust, Pro 5.0 Shifter, K&N FIPK 2, FRPP 4.10 Gear, Custom FTI Cam
"

completly stock car...? Did i miss something?
LOL, i missed that. i think he might have another stang or is asking for a friend. otherwise i can see it now:
"what, oh you mean these things dont come with twin turbos?" :)

Scorcher2005 said:
"Current Mods
AFR 185 Heads, TKO Trans, Performer RPM II Intake, Bassani Exhaust, Pro 5.0 Shifter, K&N FIPK 2, FRPP 4.10 Gear, Custom FTI Cam
"

completly stock car...? Did i miss something?

You mean your car didn't come like that? Man you got ripped off :D

The stock box IS a CAI; the aftermarket CAI's look good, but you can modify the stock box for similar performance.

Try these changes in the following order:

1) Remove the silencer in the inner fender from the stock air intake box, and install a K&N flat panel filter.
2) Set the initial timing to 14 degrees btdc (remove the spout before setting timing, replace it after)
3) Gears - 3.73 or 4.10 if you're feeling a bit more aggressive
4) Exhaust system - if the motor's gonna stay basically stock, shorty headers won't help compared to the stock headers, but long tubes will help (be sure to add O2 sensor 'extenders'); 2.5" system.
5) Either bolt on an aftermarket intake, or have tmoss port your lower stock intake.
6) Have a good set of sub-frame connectors welded in.

Those changes will make a huge difference in performance, without affecting drivability. You might not want to do anything else!

Tune up...and i mean a GOOD tune up with quality parts
Gears
Shifter
CAI
Exhaust from the engine back, headers included
Subframes...i dont list these sooner because they don't make the car faster and don't impress as much as the other stuff, but once you start making more power they become even more important

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Tune up...and i mean a GOOD tune up with quality parts
Gears
Shifter
CAI
Exhaust from the engine back, headers included
Subframes...i dont list these sooner because they don't make the car faster and don't impress as much as the other stuff, but once you start making more power they become even more important

Gears are pretty costly and CAI is mainly for sex appeal but definately get a shifter, exhaust, and subframes.. and of course slap a cd player in there and tint the windows if you want..

On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a $25-$35 flange adapter from Pro-M to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$120. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

*1.) Pro-M has revised their website lately, but here's what I found for the MAF adapter flange.

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=224 - plastic adapter

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=223 - metal adapter

I got a metal one from Powered by Ford for $35 and tax. That was over a year ago.