Belt slipping, need help

I searched for this first but couldnt come up with why my car is doing it. I have a new tensioner, all the pulleys are lined up and the belt lineup mark is a little to the left. When the car is idling the battery gauge is fine, then when i add the headlights it goes down and wiggles back and forth. Next when i add the vent it goes sooo far down to the left. When it rains my belt slips a ton, this all started happening like 2 months ago. Has anyone had a similar problem, or know what i can do to stop this.

• Sponsors (?)

Is it possible that the new tensioner you got is smaller than the stock one? If so, you might need to get a shorter belt to pick up the slack caused by the smaller pulley.

how do you know its the belt slipping? maybe your altinator needs rebuilt or something? There should be nothing on your car that would cause the belt to slip... Unless your belt itself is warn out and if that was the case i still can't see how its slipping without something else being really wrong.

Theres black powder around the alternator pulley and on the pulley itself. I thought it was my alternator at first, but it tested good, i replaced it anyways. Then it still did it with the new alternators. The belt has been on for 4 months.

Im not sure how much tension should be on all the different pulleys like the A/C, smog pump, power steering, but there shouldn't be much.. (correct me if im wrong anybody) Have you taken the belt off and seen if they all spin somewhat freely?

Ive read through the above replies really well.. and I cant figure out what else for you to try.

1. how are you sure the belt is slipping..do you observe it at idle, or just hear a sound?

2. You should probably get a new belt and just try it. Also, when you take the old belt off, examine every inch of it thoroughly for damage.

GOOD LUCK
RC

Kdizzite said:
Theres black powder around the alternator pulley and on the pulley itself. I thought it was my alternator at first, but it tested good, i replaced it anyways. Then it still did it with the new alternators. The belt has been on for 4 months.
The black powder is from the alternator. Take the belt off of you alt and spin it by hand. Does it catch or grind? I had a similar problem with my car and it ended up being the alt.

It is my third new alternator in less than 2 months. The first one created the same problems im seeing now. Replaced under warranty with a another new one, this one then overcharged my battery and made acid bubble out of the battery. Replaced with yet another one and im back to the first problem.

If your alt is putting out MORE power than stock, OR your lead cable is bad, than you could be hurting the alt with the stock 8ga wire. I uprgraded to a 4ga when I got my 160A alt. Also make sure the bolt that holds that wire down is TIGHT!

If it is loose, you start getting carbon deposits (black) and you could fry the alt.

RC