Best Cam Swap Thread?

zeevann

Apr 15, 2007
Hey stangnet. I was wondering what the best cam swap thread was. Ive looked at many different sights and write-ups but they all seem to vary. I am looking for a nice detailed writeup, hopefully one where the timing cover don't need to be removed:p(lazy) I just want to do it right the first time :D

Off topic but what numbers should i be putting down with these mods

I should have everything on withing the next few weeks and I'm very excited:D
Really trying to get over 250 HP it will be a challenge from what Ive seen(darn non-pi):SNSign:
1997 GT

Pi Cams
Livernois Intake
Accufab 70mm Tb/Plenum
Steeda UDP
Mac CAI
Mac Pro Chamber
Mac Cat-back
Mail Order Tune
If I'm missing any mods let me know:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

He must be talking about degreeing the cam in....which isnt at all needed on PI cams. Although it will not hurt anything...and probbaly would give you a few HP, IMHO its not worth the money (degree kit, and adjustable cam gears) or the time (pulling front timing cover) to gain a few HP, if that.

He must be talking about degreeing the cam in....which isnt at all needed on PI cams. Although it will not hurt anything...and probbaly would give you a few HP, IMHO its not worth the money (degree kit, and adjustable cam gears) or the time (pulling front timing cover) to gain a few HP, if that.

Now that I read my post it is lacking detail. lol Yea your going to have to degree in the cams. Any "New" set of cams should be degree'd in. You will also need new springs because the springs on an older engine doesn't have the same strength they had when they were new. I was also debating on getting cams. so I asked my Tuner about it and he explained it to me. I was just giving you a heads up it's not just a "swap" thats all.. and you don't want to half ass this.

Now that I read my post it is lacking detail. lol Yea your going to have to degree in the cams. Any "New" set of cams should be degree'd in. You will also need new springs because the springs on an older engine doesn't have the same strength they had when they were new. I was also debating on getting cams. so I asked my Tuner about it and he explained it to me. I was just giving you a heads up it's not just a "swap" thats all.. and you don't want to half ass this.

pi cams are fine without being degreed, its not like there huge cams, you will NOT need new valves springs, all 96-04 springs are the same!!, the 92-95 4.6's have different spring pockets in the heads, so those are the only heads that cant run any bigger cams

While I do agree its a good idea to do....it really isnt needed. Ford does not degree in their cams....they just put them in and line up the timing marks. If ford can put a few hundered thousand PI engines togethor by just lining up the key ways and timing marks.....then you can do the same thing by simply swapping the currently installed NPI cams (everything is factory lined up) and just sliding the PI cams in their place.

So yea....every PI engine that has rolled off the lines were placed the with cams installed "straight up" as he will be doing by following my install thread. :shrug:

the cams you really have to worry about are the comp cams....as they are ground with 4*s of advanced timing. PTV contact can become an issue with large cams that have that sortof advance in them. :flag:

Ive looked at many different sights and write-ups but they all seem to vary. I am looking for a nice detailed writeup, hopefully one where the timing cover don't need to be removed:p(lazy) I just want to do it right the first time

Don't take this wrong but if you want to do it right and be sure it's done right you need to take the timing cover off. The cam install tool is nice but if the chain some how got lose and skipped a tooth you wouldn't know it until you did damage to engine.

What are some of the things that vary that you have questions on? I wrote the second install article that was linked earlier.

Bill

Don't take this wrong but if you want to do it right and be sure it's done right you need to take the timing cover off. The cam install tool is nice but if the chain some how got lose and skipped a tooth you wouldn't know it until you did damage to engine.

What are some of the things that vary that you have questions on? I wrote the second install article that was linked earlier.

Bill

I used that tool....its a joke IMHO. :notnice: It almost slipped off the cam gear a few times, before I decided to used vice grips. I bought it used, and still have it....but I wont sell it to anyone because its a complete waste of money.