Best clutch for a stock 5.0

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
I have a 5.0 SSP car that I am trying to get back into shape. The clutch that is in the car works fine but the pedal is a mofo, definitely too stiff for something to cruise around in, let alone get caught up in some stop and go traffic. Are the stock replacement clutch kits from advance any good?

• Sponsors (?)

I was going to suggest the Mongoose clutch as well. It looked like a good package for the price. I've never had one, but I have used similar parts replacement clutches from AP stores (which were made by Valeo) and I was completely satisfied with them.

I have a Spec Stage I clutch in my current mod-fox car (4.6L DOHC motor & T45) and I have no complaints. The pedal is perfect for cruising, and it also grabs gears hard enought to chirp tires on shifts without going WOT. It's a great clutch so far, I have about 300 miles on it.

I have a stock NAPA clutch in my car... It was like... 80 bucks for the throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch, and piliot bearing. It has a lifetime warranty. Grabs pretty hard too when I'm beating on it. SVT32VDOHC can attest to that :D

I have a Spec Stage I clutch in my current mod-fox car (4.6L DOHC motor & T45) and I have no complaints. The pedal is perfect for cruising, and it also grabs gears hard enought to chirp tires on shifts without going WOT. It's a great clutch so far, I have about 300 miles on it.

+1 on the SPEC stage 1. Its working nice and smooth in my 66 with a T-5.

I have a stock NAPA clutch in my car... It was like... 80 bucks for the throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch, and piliot bearing. It has a lifetime warranty. Grabs pretty hard too when I'm beating on it. SVT32VDOHC can attest to that :D

Justin is correct. I rode in his car and he grabbed two and a half gears and it grabbed hard. It was shocking to see an auto parts store grab gears like that. Felt just like my Spec Stage I for half the money.

+1 on the SPEC stage 1. Its working nice and smooth in my 66 with a T-5.

Yeah, I love it so far. I had to fork over a few more bucks since my 97 Cobra donor car had an 11" clutch. My old 96 Cobra had a 10.5" clutch, so maybe someone upgraded the flywheel and clutch in the 97...idk.

i just got a 92 gt 5.0 and need to get a clutch (it came without a motor or trans) where seems to be the best place to get a clutch and/or flywheel? what is the going price for the spec stage one clutch? my motor for this car will be a little under 300hp for now.

i have a king cobra and have no complaints. i had a spec stage 1 in a past stang and it was really nice also.

i will say that i used a cheap parts store clutch once on my current car...after about 600 miles, the friction ring ripped apart from the center hub and left me stranded. i'll never use a autoparts store clutch again.