BEST FITTING AND SOUNDING EXHAUST~PLEASE HELP RECOMMENDING ONE~

vitesse06

May 15, 2006
okay guys i really need your help, when i first bought the car i wanted to get the old muscle car sound, so i went with the mac off-road h-pipe and bassani bx chambered mufflers.....(so this combo was a great sound but.......the bassani mufflers were such a bad fitting system(very hard to get the mufflers straight and tips to even out),....even after cutting and welding

...........so i bought a slp power-flo cat-back and i loved the look (fitted perfectly aligned like it was a factory system).... but the sound wasnt what i was looking for:bang:

so now im back with the bassani mufflers and i cannot get them to sit straight, maybe i being a little obessive compulsive on this...., but i hate when a exhaust system is not aligned......(looks so cheap to me)......the muffler shop said something about a large electrical wiring harness being on the driverside making the driverside muffler being a bad fit?:shrug: anyone have this problem?

so anyways can you guys please recommend me a great sounding and fitting axle back to be paired with my mac off-road h.....i want a real loud deep rumble, (so no straight through mufflers)......thanks in advance:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

l love my flowmasters...they have a good deep rumble and the tips fit perfect in the cutouts...if you look you can find them pretty cheap and the muffler shop took about 15min to install

do you have a mid-pipe mikes06gt?.....if so what kind?.....i was thinking about a set of flows...on a scale of 1 to 10......10 being the loudest what would you rate them at?

I have the Flowmaster axle backs on my ' 06 and love them. I will have to be beside and behind my car while my girlfriend drives it to hear just what it sounds like other than the driver seat. To me they sound very good. I haven't heard many GTs around here so I have no real world experience with other sounds. But It is not obnoxious however. You stomp the go pedal and it gives a loud, but deep growl.

I watched the guy put them on my car while it was up on a lift. He had no problems with the install. It was however tight quarters since the Flows are nearly 1/3 larger lengthwise than the stockers. They are perfectly aligned as well. Sit perfectly in the exhaust cutouts.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/kooldawg6/Rear-Flowmasters.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/kooldawg6/Flowmastercloseup.jpg
video clip of Flows coming very soon...

There are many great sounding exhaust systems today. Heck, I think the stock exhaust system even sounds great. BUT you will NOT get the old school muscle car sound from your GT unless you are willing to:

o Do away with the cats.
o Do away with the crossover.
o Go to smaller tubing.
o Go to glass packs.
o Which will lose LOTS of power.

MANY of the muscle cars of the sixties had exhaust tubing as small as 2 inches ID. Many of them had no crossovers and many of them had glass packs not long after delivery.

Such exhaust systems were nowhere near as efficient as what we have today, saving for the lack of cats.

SOooo, enjoy your systems sound but never expect it to sound like the cars of the sixties without losing power. That said, I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

I have Bassani axle backs and had just a little problem getting them lined up. Are you having a problem with the length of them or just getting them straight? I actually had to heat up the hanger and bend it a little to get them straight.

The flowmasters have very good fitment. I also read on another forum about the new Ford mufflers that come on the Shelby GT or GTH, they apparently sound very good, have tips almost exactly like the Magnaflows above and have that solid Ford fitment.

Corsas fit nicely with a bit of jiggling but if you're like me, you'll find they're too quiet which is why I'm taking mine off. I'm having some custom made so I can get the sound and the fit.

The 60's cars had lumpier cams not possible now without tipping fuel over the cats so that sound is pretty much gone. I was playing some sound clips and quite liked a set by IMCO???? It was on the Ninosports website and thay have some sound clips. Not sure how they fit though.

i do not have a mid pipe i have not made it that far yet i just have the axle-backs...on a 1-10 i would give it a 7...if it was much louder it would be too much for me but i do not like real loud cars..i think when they get too loud it sounds sloppy..i like a car that sounds tight and crisp...that might not make any sense i just dont know how to describe it

I had a JBA system but found it to loud, I also found the fitment to be subpar. I now have the quiet version of the Ford system, it's just slightly louder than stock in most situations but it still roars at WOT, plus the fit and finish is PERFECT. It's exactly what I wanted. BTW I also found the same thing with the Ford branded swaybar kit. From now on I'll definitly buy Ford branded aftermarket products as my first choice, it looks like they simply choose the best in class products from well known aftermarket manufacturers to sell at resonable prices through their dealers. What's not to like?

PS; If anyone's in the Toronto area (or anywhere else if you pay shipping) and you want an almost new JBA axel back exhaust at 1/2 price drop me a line at [email protected] !

One word: IMCO!! It sounds like this: :crazy: :eek: :jaw: . If you like flowmaster, this is like 10x better, since its only like one baffle inside, I mean hell when mine arrived in the mail, I was like :eek: WTF! the case is tiny, and the is literally just one baffle inside, but boy do they sound good! Kind of imagine pissed off Barry White doing karaoke on one of Green Day's or Linkin Park songs while trippin' on PCP and crystal meth and you get the idea about the sound at WOT :crazy: Wouldn't go any other way. However, had to dynomat the trunk because had slight drone at around 60-65mph, which I got around by well, driving faster, by gf was kvetching. Oh, and the tips are killer too, upswept, chrome, 3.5 diameter, match perfectly to the valence and I installed this thing in my drieway in 2 hours and the mufflers are black and hide beneath the bumper cover perfectly. www.grabthepower.com

imco exhaust huh?.....i have been hearing this name pop up around the mustang boards......what i wanna know is it the old musclecar sound.....cuz i cannot stand the sound of some of the straight through mufflers....50bomber would you happen to have a pic or soundclip of your car?????????:)

thanks for all your awesome replies......
-vitesse06