Best Headers

JDS95GT

Founding Member
Dec 19, 1999
Ok, it is time to replace my rusted HTS coated Mac shortys. They lasted 6 years but now a gasket is blowed and they look like crap.
I want peoples opinion on what to replace them with. I thought about Bassani ceramic coated or maybe just the Mac ceramic coated. I want something that lasts, is not an all day chore to change plugs in and hopefully don't take a week to install.
I been away from the forum for a while so I am not up to date on what works and what don't. I'll trust the people of this forum to help me decide :)
Also, what is the opinion on ceramic coated headers? Someone said something about oil on them would ruin the finish although I presently have no oil leaks.

Thanks,
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

If you want some high-quality headers, I'd go with the FMS ones, they're made of stainless, so they'll last a long time, and they come in either plain stainless or ceramic coated. They're probably on the higher side, as far as prices go for shorty headers, but from what I hear they are hard to beat. I'm gonna go cheap this spring, I'm replacing my ugly Mac's with chrome BBK's. I'm going cheap because I won't need them once I do the twin turbos in a year or two. However, BBK's do seem pretty decent for the price. I wouldn't go with Mac's again, I hate the individual flange idea, the tubes warp and you almost can't get them back on if you take them off at some point.

SeventyMach1 said:
Your 2nd time around ......

Single flange, coated LT's for sure.
I am from the old muscle car age (70's) and every car I had back then all had long tube headers (Mostly Hookers) and every one of them had problems with speedbumps and the such. This car, aside from a Formula 400 Firebird I had sits lower than all those. I'd hate to go back to the days of dragging my headers every where I go.
My long term goals do plan on a supercharger but I am not sure I wanna go the long tube route.
So far it is a toss up between Bassani and FMS.
BTW, Pricey is not a factor.

Dave

Well

I can see the thing with a lowered Stang and LT's :D

If you are gonna stay with the shorty style

I'd not go with the equal length style :nono:

I think any of them would be pretty good :shrug:

A lot of peeps swear by the brands that have a flange.

Grady

JDS95GT said:
I am from the old muscle car age (70's) and every car I had back then all had long tube headers (Mostly Hookers) and every one of them had problems with speedbumps and the such. This car, aside from a Formula 400 Firebird I had sits lower than all those. I'd hate to go back to the days of dragging my headers every where I go.
My long term goals do plan on a supercharger but I am not sure I wanna go the long tube route.
So far it is a toss up between Bassani and FMS.
BTW, Pricey is not a factor.

Dave

In that case, my vote is for BBK unequal length headers. And get them coated. I love mine. Install was super easy, especially with the single flange. BTW, you do not need to unbolt the steering shaft thingy or any of that crap. They will slide in if you turn them right.

94CobraPace said:
How about Bassini mid lengths? Longer the shorties but shorter than long tubes, so no issues with ground clearance. Just have to buy the mid pipe cats.
Pay the extra for ceramic coating for sure.

What are your mid-pipe & cat-back options with that?

Ok, I have narrowed it down to the FMS or Bassani. Either way I am going with coated shorty's. Both are about the same price. Does anyone here use either of these brands and can tell me the pros and cons of each? The Bassani's are equal length and I kinda worry that they may burn a hose or wire. Thanks for any help.

Dave