Best Sounding Exhaust System

xxStangRacerxx

Jul 28, 2005
NY
I just purchased a 2000 GT Convertible all stock. Now its time to start the work on it. First thing I am trying to do is get a whole new exhaust system. What would be the best sounding and best performing exhaust I could buy? Give me some suggestions. Also let me know some websites I can get them off of. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

git-it-83 said:
A completely subjective and opinion-driven question, amigo! :D

Me, MAC off-road H pipe and Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series. Minimal drone (for Flowmasters), good throaty tone, full of rage at WOT above 3500rpm. :nice:

Absolutely.. Everyone seems to have a different preference. I had one guy tell me that I wouln't like the SLP because they are too loud, the next day another guy said I wouldn't like them because they're too quiet..

Your best bet is to listen for a sound you like and ask.. What Propellerhead stated was true for midpipes. H pipes are deeper tone where X pipes are more raspy.

git-it-83 said:
Me, MAC off-road H pipe and Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series. Minimal drone (for Flowmasters), good throaty tone, full of rage at WOT above 3500rpm. :nice:

:stupid: (Mac O/R Prochamber w/ Flowmaster 40's) And I cant count the number of times people have stopped me at gas stations/drive through/bank...asking what exhaust set-up I had. I found the "old fashioned" muscle car people favor it the most. I wouldnt trade the sound for anything...just my .02

I love the O/R H/Prochamber and Flowmaster 40's sound, probably have it on my next stang, but I wanted something different so I went with Magnaflows and X pipe, definitly a bit different but still sounds like a stang if you know what I mean. The 4.6 and straighthru mufflers with an X pipe just scream in the upper RPMs :flag:

Merbie said:
:stupid: (Mac O/R Prochamber w/ Flowmaster 40's) And I cant count the number of times people have stopped me at gas stations/drive through/bank...asking what exhaust set-up I had. I found the "old fashioned" muscle car people favor it the most. I wouldnt trade the sound for anything...just my .02

Before my mid-pipe replacement, people must have thought it was just another stang.

Within the 2 weeks now of running it, 3 people (one adult and 2 little kids skateboarding) have said, "NICE CAR!". Love it.... :hail2:

CatmanJJ said:
I love the O/R H/Prochamber and Flowmaster 40's sound, probably have it on my next stang, but I wanted something different so I went with Magnaflows and X pipe, definitly a bit different but still sounds like a stang if you know what I mean. The 4.6 and straighthru mufflers with an X pipe just scream in the upper RPMs :flag:
My UPR O/R X and flows are pretty damn loud. I get the "nice car man" once in awhile, just got it yesterday actually.

Car sounds best when when I let it slow itself down from about 4k RPMs. Sounds like an F15 and people LOVE it.

Since you have a Vert you have to ask yourself....do you want loud exhaust since the vert is already loud in the cabin or do you want exhaust that is somewhat mild, but still has good performance? It all depends on if you want to be able to talk with the person next to you or not!

I went through the same struggle with my vert and ended up going with Magnaflow. They are somewhat quiet in lower RPM's, but in the upper RPM's they scream!

Until this spring my vote was to an '03 Cobra with Bassani catted x-pipe with Bassani cat-back. Then came the incodent with the S281E...I'm running in front of him in the left lane one evening. We get behind an SUV (S tupid U seless V ehicle) doing about 60 in a 65. The Saleen got fed up and passed us both on the right. First the whine of the blower and then what has to be the sexiest sounding Mustang exhaust I've ever heard. After sporting a semi- for the rest of the evening my g/f finally learned to appreciate Saleens.
:nice: :banana: :nice: :banana: :nice: :banana:

I have mac o/r h and flows.. I love the sound.. I'm a hardcore H piper.

However a month or so ago I got up next to (driving my wife's Jeep,) a red 99-04 which was KB'd.. had that X pipe crackle to it.. sounded killer with the whine.. I'm starting to think about doing an x pipe on my foxbody.