Best Spark Plugs

87 GT Stang

Jul 6, 2003
Does anybody know what the best spark plugs are for a 87 5.0. I have some Bosch Platinum +4 and they seem to work fine, but a buddy of mine put some NGK in his and he said his performed better. Just curious. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ECU5.0 said:
ngk or autolite 24's i think are what most people run on stock heads. aluminum heads require a different plug, i think the autolite 3924

Get Motorcraft if you can...autolite 24's are a basic knock off of those...and gap at .052-.056...

I have a question (not to jack the thread)...but what happens if a you gapped a stock plug at .045 or at .065 instead of the factory specs on a 5.0...the reason why I ask is that I recently changed sparkplugs and changed the fuel filter and I lost 3mph on the track...I thought I gapped them at factory specs but obviously not...?...

if you gap them more than stock it takes more current for the spark to jump the longer distance. obviously its not a big difference, but it does take more juice to do it. gapping them too small will shorten the spark and wont burn the fuel mixture as completely. i think thats the way it works anyway

ECU5.0 said:
if you gap them more than stock it takes more current for the spark to jump the longer distance. obviously its not a big difference, but it does take more juice to do it. gapping them too small will shorten the spark and wont burn the fuel mixture as completely. i think thats the way it works anyway

So which could cause the lost 3mph...it doesn't pull as hard in the upper rpms like it used to...and also what would putting in a fuel filter backwards cause?

platinum in general, does not conduct nearly as well as annealed copper. that is one reason they last so long without much gap erosion.

some 302 EFI's dont like platinums (platinums, in general, that is. im not commenting on the multi-groundstrap plugs, as that has been covered), and some are alright with platinums (of any flavor).

use what works for you.

Bad experience and other people's story's have made me Anti NGK.
It's the NGK V-Groove Plug's that are Crap. (I don't know about there other plug's) They just don't run great in Ford's for some reason. I work at a Ford Dealership and the tech's refuse to put NGK in any Ford Viechle new or old. Myself personally and buddies of mine also have had bad experiences with NGK. Long Story Short.... I Ran one race with NGK in my circle track car (302) and the car ran like S**T and the plug's fouled up. Threw some Autolite's in her the next day and she purred away and the plug's were nice and tan.... Both plug's were same heat range, same everything.... Stay Away from V Groove's.

Run Motorcraft or Autolite.... nothing else. In a Way You Could Say... Made For Ford's.

r6bullet said:
also the platinum +4 is a joke, the spark is always going to go to the best way to ground which = using only on prong, not 4

when i was a the columbus swap this vender said that the advantage of the platinum +4 plugs is mainly for less maintance, that because of the 4 prongs they will last a lot longer than normal plugs

Platinum plugs are much less conductive than copper plugs, making them a poor choice for 302 ignitions with stock coils. If you have a MSD coil than go with a Autolite Platinum plug. If some one has experience with a iridium plug please let me know.