Best T56 fluid? GM syncromesh, royal purple syncromax, or other??

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
Gentleman, I've heard people for the longest time running GM syncromesh in their T56, but I've also heard people starting to use Royal Purple syncromax. what do you guys prefer? Also, which GM syncromesh are you using? The black bottle or the white (friction modified) version.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you race a lot or live in the Southwest, Tremec doesn't suggest Synchromesh as it's intended for high temp use. Dex III is the suggested fluid for year-round typical use.

Good info. Are there any downsides to using it for normal driving? When I searched forums it seems as though most people say the transmission seems quiter and shifts better....

Are there any downsides to using it for normal driving?
Probably not, but it might make shifting a little sluggish before it warms up, particularly in a newer transmission.

As for what "most people say" I've found over the years that unless you know how many miles are on someone's transmission/clutch & how they drive, those testimonials don't mean much. A person who does a lot of in-traffic driving in Denver is going to see totally different circumstances than a highway commuter in Atlanta, ya know.