Best Tail Pipe Kit To Order For Cobra Rear?

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Whats up guys? I havent posted anything about my car in a while, so I figured I would ask. My GT rear has the "wave" going on and im going to get a Cobra Rear. So I need to buy a tailpipe kit. Which tips look/fit the best with the cobra rear? I believe im going to buy it from Design Concepts, seems they have pretty good stuff for the dollar. I have spent a buck or two on the engine so I figure I would make it look a little better. :nice:

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

I second the MAC kit. I got the full catback on Ebay for 279.99, with free shipping. It installs easily, and sounds great. The tips are nice too, and they sell 3.5" tails that can be swapped in easily. I'm getting the Cobra rear, Stalker front, Cobra R hood, and Saleen wing in the mail any day now, so I got the catback ahead of time.

Yeah, MustangWarehouse sells them for 279 on Ebay, and it got to my house three days after I paypaled the money. The LX catback is the one you want, as it comes with the chrome tails. That is, unless you want to buy the GT catback, with the turndowns, and run them until you get the Cobra, and then buy the 3.5" tails. Either way, the Ebay one is the way to go. Also, the kit sounds really good, especially with my prochamber (which is the best midpipe IMHO). It's really raspy and sounds like a race car, just the way I want it to.

3.5 inch tips on mine.. Looks BEST IMO on a cobra bumper, yet an overkill on an LX

backrightpipes.JPG

JJM_Stanger said:
Just to let you know if you ever plan on doing any suspension upgrades the mac gets in the way, I recommend the flowmaster stainless pipes. They have the best clearance. I had the mac and had to buy the stainless to work with my MM suspension stuff.

What suspension do you have? I'm planning on adding a MM panhard bar soon! I contacted MM and they said I'd have no problems with the panhard bar, did you have problems with the torque arm which one did you get the standard or heavy duty? L8

I have a set of 2.5 inch Mac chrome tailpipes new in the box. I bought them and then decided I wanted to keep my flowmasters instead. So if anyone is interested let me know. The part number is 56690 I beleve and they are for 87 to 90 LX or cobra bumper.
Tom

Any LX kit will work fine. Just be prepared to weld on extensions on the tips of the hangers. The LX kits do not have long enough hangers to fit perfectly with the Cobra bumper. They will be angled up and rest directly on the cut outs of the bumper. I just took some round stock and used a torch to heat it, and bend it in a u shape. Then I welded it to the top of the existing hanger.

I have the MM Panhard bar and you CANNOT use the mac, they will not work trust me it is worth getting the Flowmasters, they are a little more $$ but they clear fine. The Macs I had didn't even come close to clearing.

MM Stuff I have:
- Front Coil-Overs (Blistens)
- Rear Coil-Overs (Blistens)
- Brace Kit (with full lenght sub frames)
- Panhard Bar
- Lower Control Arms
- Caster Camber plates
- Brake Kit

Next item = Standard Torque Arm (I don't think the Heavy is worth it)

You might want to consider just an LX bumper instead of a cobra, the cobra has two notches in them for the tailpipes and when you put the MM Panhard bar on you may have to move them so there is a chance the won't line up perfect with the holes. (I have the cobra and the pipes are off a little) The LX bumber doesn't have that so you will not notice if the pipes are sightly off. If you ever want 3" exhust you may want to consider dumps or coming off the side because the 2 1/2 are tight.

I was thinking of the Flowmaster tips too. They are stainless so I wont be worrying about rust problems. Dont know guys, have to wait till I get the bumper cover first I guess.

Also, My GT bumper is "wavy" and I have heard this is becuase of a bad support. Should I get a new support before I put on the cobra? If it made the GT bumper to sag wouldnt it do the same to Cobra over time?

Dave