Best tire choice for Stock Styled Steel 65 wheels?

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
All right, I searched and read quite a bit here and on other forums. I've read the tire fitment guide from Dodgestang. Checked out tirerack. Not much talk on original 14" styled steel performance tires.

These are 14"x5" wheels- yes they are small, but they are staying.

A. What is the best tire size for this rim? Or tire size range? Here are my suspension particulars:
-65 convertible
-shelby drop
-granada brakes
-620 lb springs
-stock 14x5 SS wheels.

I plan to put 2000 miles a year on it- with lots of corners.

B. The only thing I can find is either drag tires, or the standard bfg radials. I have not had bfg radials before- are they good enough? On whatever tire, I don't care about treadwear- they'll probably rot before I wear them out. So, I'm looking for a 14" performance tire... which seems to be a funny idea to most tire companies these days.

Thanks for the ideas!

Hunter

65 GT Convertible
94 Cobra Pace Car Convertible
01 Corvette Convertible

• Sponsors (?)

More info:
Read some on 1010Tires.com, and found some possible combos. Looking to see if anyone has had experience with these in the past-
This post helped a little too.

I don't want to roll fenders.

215x60x14 (this should be close to rubbing, if not)
205x70x14 (should fit fine, makes the speedo happy)
205x60x14 (puts the speedo 5% out of whack, but there are high performance options- Yoko AVSs are available in this size)

What do you guys feel about the last choice- is that too perverse of a size for the stock wheel? I can do math- so the speedo thing does not bother me. any other repercussions I'm forgetting about?

thanks!

What are the pros/cons of running a tire that is bigger than the wheel specifications? In this case, I'm thinking of running a 5" wheel with a 215 tire. that combo is not exactly supposed to happen, but it's not too far off from the specifications. Sidewall flex? bad performance? good performance?

I'm running 225/70r14 on mine, with just 1inch drop springs in the front. They seem to be doing alright. I haven't noticed any rubbing at all. They suck from a performance stand point though, ust because they're sooo damn skinny. It's easy to lose traction taking hard enough turns.

On second though maybe I'm running 215/70r14? lol. All I can remember is we just told walmart to mount the widest tires they could fit on thsoe skinny wheels.