Best Valve Spring Compressor For The Money

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Joplin, Missouri
I'm gathering parts to build my spare 5.0 with gt40 heads. I want to swap the springs to support the f cam and was wondering what spring compressor everyone used or what was my best bang for the buck?

Harbor freight tool? Sears? Amazon?

Just want to know what others are using.

• Sponsors (?)

I recently rebuilt my GT40 Engine. I did a little looking around and found the price range to be about $60 for the tool. I asked my local Cylinder Head shop how much they would charge to change the Valve Springs, he said $60 ($30 per Head). So I ended up just letting them do it.

I'm gathering parts to build my spare 5.0 with gt40 heads. I want to swap the springs to support the f cam and was wondering what spring compressor everyone used or what was my best bang for the buck?

Harbor freight tool? Sears? Amazon?

Just want to know what others are using.

I have two.. not sure of the brand of either, but one is the large "c" style with a lever that I share with a buddy. We've passed it back and forth for twenty years. It used to be the cat's pajamas but it's worn out now and doesn't work so well. The other is the type with the puller style with the two fingers you grab the spring with and the knob you turn to compress it. These are great for making you angry.. stay away... far away.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an unknown brand name hand me down...it is horrible, but it works. My father law actually has one of those proform ones, and it works pretty well.

Joe

Take them to the machine shop and let them do a valve job and install the springs if the heads are off the car.
They will shim and check seat pressure as necessary.
People underestimate how much better a perfect set of heads work.

For the most part, i'm a believer in buying tools and doing things yourself, this is one case, I am not.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm leaning towards the machine shop as well just to ensure they are set up correctly. However, the "do it yourself'er" in me wants to learn to do it.

The heads are off the car and simply sitting around for the next 6-8 months while I collect the rest of the stuff I need (have most of it, just I chopped down the money tree).

They appear to have been hogged on a bit on the intake side. It looks as if someone had a clue what they were doing so that's nice.

Take them to the machine shop and let them do a valve job and install the springs if the heads are off the car.
They will shim and check seat pressure as necessary.
People underestimate how much better a perfect set of heads work.

For the most part, i'm a believer in buying tools and doing things yourself, this is one case, I am not.
yup! can we built the motor in the race car... sure... do we? hell no we have the machinest/ engine builder do it that way everything is perfect and if there is an issue its already at the machine shop