Best way to break in a clutch?

Well, I'm going to go pick up my car today after the clutch finally gave up (everything down there was wasted).

I was just wondering what you all do to break in a new clutch? Anything I can't do with it besides dropping the clutch? Can I still hammer the car down roads without any problems? Thanks for reading. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Just drive it normally for the first 500 miles or so. Failure to do so could affect its longevity. I know its hard to take it easy, but it will be worth it in the long run. I am in the same position after rebuilding my car.

I have heard stop and go for the first little while helps and drive normally for the first 2-3 weeks and I don't know about this but someone I know swear's by taking off in 3rd a few times to "glaze or smoke" the clutch. I guess it would be like seating the piston rings or working in new brake rotors and pads.

I would just take it easy for the first while in town and you should be fine after that.

Roland69 said:
I don't know about this but someone I know swear's by taking off in 3rd a few times to "glaze or smoke" the clutch.
Roland, trust your instincts (you knew that sounded hinky). That is some bad methodology there; that's the one thing you are trying not to do.

The idea behind breaking in a clutch is not horribly different than the burnishing procedure on brakes.

Another vote to take it easy and avoid extremes - no WOT launches and no slipping it. Heat cycling can be good for it too.

Good luck and enjoy.

*sigh* just got it back.

The engaging point for it is about 3/4ths up the pedal. From what I've been told in the past, the engine should start to choke about 1/3rd of the way up the pedal, correct?

They put in a new cable and a quadrant adjuster with it. Think it just needs to be adjusted? Can I do that in my garage, so I don't have to take it back to them? They ****ed up this clutch thing like 4 times already, and I can't afford to miss another day of work. Help. :(

I tried to get a copy of the repair order, but because it's a saturday, barely anyone was there. So I don't know what brand adjuster it is. How would I go about adjusting it? Where's it located? How far off the ground do I need to lift the car, or can I go in from above?

Sorry for all the noob questions.

Mavrick said:
I don't have any adjustment. Stock cable with a centerforce dual friction clutch.

Aslong as the clutch is fully disengauging, then why would this be an issue for anything other than comfort?
That's fine. Since you posted, we (or I) thought you suspected an issue with not engaging all the way. That's something only you would know (after the first post we didnt know what quadrant you have, and different ones have different uptake. If mine was engaging that high, it would slip like crazy, for example).
You know what's up Mav - you were just testing me. :p

Nvidia said:
Well, I'm going to go pick up my car today after the clutch finally gave up (everything down there was wasted).

I was just wondering what you all do to break in a new clutch? Anything I can't do with it besides dropping the clutch? Can I still hammer the car down roads without any problems? Thanks for reading. :)

500 miles, city driving

highway is cool too but you can't cheat and leave it in 4th gear for 400 miles.... you need to keep shifting.... I would just down/upshift every so often on the 50 mph roads. :nice: