• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

best way to lower 67

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harndog
  • Start date Start date Feb 5, 2008
H

Harndog

New Member
May 28, 2007
86
0
0
Feb 5, 2008
#1
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #1
It already has 620's and 5 leaf mid eyes but I need to drop the front for sure and maybe the rear as well.
 

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
4,159
20
79
Rowland Heights,California
Feb 5, 2008
#2
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #2
only option is to start cutting coils or the arm drop (for 67?) and a 1" block in rear
 
6

68EFIvert

Member
Jan 13, 2007
639
0
17
Camas, Washington
Feb 5, 2008
#3
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #3
Drop in a 460. That should drop it an inch or two.
 
H

Harndog

New Member
May 28, 2007
86
0
0
Feb 5, 2008
#4
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #4
LOL Guess I could ride on the hood? extra 300 pounds up front should do the trick.

I think I am going to cut the coils. Are the blocks safe for the rear? One thing I just thought of. The car is lacking Antifreeze/radiator, hood, grille and interior. I moved Battery to the trunk but it is not in yet as well. I think I am going to wait until I get every thing put back together then see what we have.
 

CraigMBA

New Member
Mar 24, 2007
783
1
0
Orange, CA
Feb 5, 2008
#5
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #5
Harndog said:
LOL Guess I could ride on the hood? extra 300 pounds up front should do the trick.

I think I am going to cut the coils. Are the blocks safe for the rear? One thing I just thought of. The car is lacking Antifreeze/radiator, hood, grille and interior. I moved Battery to the trunk but it is not in yet as well. I think I am going to wait until I get every thing put back together then see what we have.
Click to expand...

That, and drive it a couple of weeks. It'll settle more than you'd think.
 
6

68EFIvert

Member
Jan 13, 2007
639
0
17
Camas, Washington
Feb 5, 2008
#6
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #6
On a serious note, start cutting with 1/4 coil at at time. It may take some time but you will get it right and not have to buy new springs. Make sure to have the car aligned when you are done. I cut my coils 1/2 on my 68 (when I had 620 coils) and it was just the look I was looking for. Good luck and post some pictures when you are doing it if you need some feedback.
 

CraigMBA

New Member
Mar 24, 2007
783
1
0
Orange, CA
Feb 5, 2008
#7
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #7
You gotta be careful of new springs. Unlike late model stuff, our stuff isn't presaged.

If you're car is a little high after you get everything back in it and drive it a couple of hundred miles, cut a quarter coil off. If it's real high, cut half a coil. But drive it first. This forum is littered with stories of people who installed new stuff and have it sit too high and immediately lower it, only to have the springs sag and the car be too low a couple of weeks later.
 

Bosscat

Founding Member
Sep 30, 1999
1,265
0
0
England
Feb 6, 2008
#8
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #8
CraigMBA said:
You gotta be careful of new springs. Unlike late model stuff, our stuff isn't presaged.

If you're car is a little high after you get everything back in it and drive it a couple of hundred miles, cut a quarter coil off. If it's real high, cut half a coil. But drive it first. This forum is littered with stories of people who installed new stuff and have it sit too high and immediately lower it, only to have the springs sag and the car be too low a couple of weeks later.
Click to expand...

Totally agree with Craig.

Get the car back together, drive it for a few months, then make the call on cutting the springs/blocks.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Feb 6, 2008
#9
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #9
CraigMBA said:
That, and drive it a couple of weeks. It'll settle more than you'd think.
Click to expand...
DEFINITELY! But I was under the impression that the suspension was already broken in, and that you now want to lower it since you got 17" wheels and it looks like a 4X4. Is that the case or is your suspension new too?
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Feb 6, 2008
#10
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #10
iskwezm said:
only option is to start cutting coils or the arm drop (for 67?) and a 1" block in rear
Click to expand...

The upper arm drop on 67s is still advised by many, but is definitely not as important to do as it is on a 65/66 where it should be considered mandatory. FoMoCo fixed some of the bad geometry on the design for 67-70. Even Shelby did not make the mod on his cars for those years, but serious road-racing types still make the drop, I believe it helps a little in extreme handling situations.
 
M

mustangdave

My rearend needs a stud and two nuts.
Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
2,976
1
56
North Carolina
Feb 6, 2008
#11
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #11
Don't mid-eye and reverse eye leaf springs also drop the rear? Nobody mentioned it.
 
H

Harndog

New Member
May 28, 2007
86
0
0
Feb 6, 2008
#12
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #12
Suppose to. I have mid eye 5 leafs
 

Tim65GT

Active Member
Feb 24, 2004
1,149
2
39
West Texas
Feb 7, 2008
#13
  • Feb 7, 2008
  • #13
mustangdave
Don't mid-eye and reverse eye leaf springs also drop the rear? Nobody mentioned it.
Click to expand...

I replaced my 40 year old sagging stock springs with 4 leaf rev eyes and it lifted it about 1 1/2"

Do rear leafs "settle" like front coils?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
68 coupe rear drop
  • Butchd88
  • Apr 3, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
223
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Apr 19, 2026
C.R.M.
H
New here and thanks
  • HoosierD420
  • Aug 30, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
102
The Welcome Wagon Aug 30, 2026
HoosierD420
H
M
Rim suggestions
  • mason5.0
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
301
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Qtrhrse23
S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
165
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
324
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?