Big Block Trouble Need Help ASAP

scooby1986

Nov 2, 2004
Heres the deal my friend recently put a 460 in his 79 F100 truck it has a comp cam in it with comp lifters, and valve springs and Harland Sharp Rockers... It was a fresh motor so when he started it he ran it at 2000-3000 rpm for 20 minutes to break it in right towards the end it developed a lifter tap... everyone thought it was cause the oil thinned out a lil bit and the lifter bled out... but then he started it yesterday and it had the same tap and some of the rockers became loose he tried to bleed the lifters up by driving ti but it still taps any ideas on why??? Are his lifters collapsed? he did everything by the book and he cant seem to figure it out.... also their was some metal falkes in the oil pan after the break in is this normal for a fresh motor?

• Sponsors (?)

your friends camshaft has flattened out (destroyed itself) probably on a few lobes and destroyed some lifters too, especially if there are metal shavings in the oil. You'll have to get another cam and lifters and try again, get some GM EOS at a GM dealer and dump the whole bottle in your oil before start up, it has massive amounts of zinc in it to help with break in, i used it and had no problems, many people hail by the stuff for flat tappet cam breakin. I hope you are running the correct springs for the cam.