Big block vs. small block PS hoses?

jcode68

Jul 15, 2003
Massachussetts
Can anyone tell me the difference between the small block and big block power steering hoses for a 68 Mustang? I have a small block, but since installing my new long tube headers, the stock hose routing is too close to the headers and has already started to melt the sheathing on one of the hoses. I want to know if the big block factory hoses fit the same pump and control valve with the only difference being the way they are routed. I figure routing them unde the engin mount would work best. Anyone else done this approach?

• Sponsors (?)

I ran into the same problem with my '67 when installing the LT's. I'm no help on the difference between the SB and BB hoses. I went to a local pressure hose builder and had one custom made for $50... It was even blue hose... Didn't have to buy a new return line, just cut and rerouted...

I also rerouted like you are talking about, in front of the motor mount instead of behind. It has worked well. Hope that helps some...

I had to get a big block pressure line for my 67. The end where it goes into the valve is a different size (7/16 instead of 3/8 ? ). I had to "upgrade" to a 68 valve assembly to get everything to jive. Since you have a 68, you should be OK.

It now goes under the car, like my 69 did.

Apparently, the power steering pumps for the big blocks had the return line barb exit the pump at a downward 90 angle, to route under the car.

I can't stand the stock setup where it hugs the shock tower- looks like an afterthought on the part of the designers.

Don't forget the rubber block thingy under the car that keeps the lines in place.

Thanks for the replies. I will order the big block hoses today. I went the custom hose route, but the only shop I found within 50 miles did a crappy job and screwed the hoses up. $70 down the crapper... I figure if the big block hoses were routed this way, I'm better off going this route.

I have the small block hose bracket and rubber gromet. I was thinking I could fabricate a bracket to utilize this rather than buy new. Does anyone know where they mounted this bracket on big block cars? I saw a picture of a car that looked like it was fastened using the bolt for the lower control arm. Didn't really look like something the factory would do. :shrug: