BIG HP guys - what Clutch cable setup do you use? - need help ASAP!

Jan 3, 2003
MD
My clutch cable has broken 5 times. Is this a common thing? I have a BBK Quadrant setup.

This shop wants to charge me $270 for a "heavy duty" kit plus 90 for the stock cable and he's saying there's no guarantee that it won't break. WT...

I need to take care of this ASAP!

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

There is no better cable made than the oem cable. If you are having problems, get the firewall adjuster and use ONLY the oem cable, $40 from buyfordracing.com, or mm (they sell oem cables)

Don't care what hp you're running, if you have a street powered stang with a tremec, t5, or gforce, use the oem cable.

you're problem is likely binding caused by bad routing, or other issues. Be sure it is routed UNDER the k member. Poke it down above the steering rack, right near the oil filter, and have it go under the car to the clutch fork.

do NOT use an adjustable cable. I don't care what they want to sell you, if it's not oem, it's not as good.

fyi, if you have headers that are getting in the way and burning your cable, use the sn95 cable, it will route further away from the headers (it's slighltly longer) mm sells the sn95 cable too. Don't buy from a ford dealer, they'll want your first born.

#'s in sig, though hp #'s have nothing to do with clutch cables. I run the stock cable (82k on it) with the steeda firewall adjuster and quadrant. What do you have for a clutch, and how's the pedal effort???? Does you're cable run close to the exhaust? I ran my cable through some heat wrap tubing, might want to try that.
mike.

Thanks Guys. I ordered the OEM Stock cable, firewall adjuster kitt from Maximum Motorsports. I also ordered a heat shield and some sort of insulator they sell for the cable. To be sure, I think I'll wrap the headers also. I'll also follow the instructions above to route the cable.

Thanks again! :nice:

Did you order the MM quadrant too? Thats a nice piece. Im using the fms kit with a fms adj cable and a steeda firewall adj. Wehn i change it, im going with the MM cable and quad kit.

Grn92LX said:
Did you order the MM quadrant too? Thats a nice piece. Im using the fms kit with a fms adj cable and a steeda firewall adj. Wehn i change it, im going with the MM cable and quad kit.

Yup. I ordered that one too. I can't take another cable breaking. It broke about 4 to 5 times in the last 4 or so months. I really hope this will help. It should be much better. I think my problem was heat and cable routing like stated above. Longtubes and an SN95 I heard are common for that.

ok, I got the car back today. Now the clutch pedal is 2-3 inches higher than the brake pedal. I made a post in 5.0 Tech, and almost everyone says that's how theirs is to with the firewall adjuster. I like the pedal low and even with the brake pedal. Anyone have a solution how to take care of that?

Thanks

Michael Yount said:
If none of that great advice works (you got good help in this thread), pull the motor and drop it in an old Volvo. The stock Volvo clutch cable holds up just fine too. :)

True, I got good advice in this thread. Thanks guys. Hopefully that's the end of the broken cables. I'll take a high pedal over broken cables any day!

Michael,

I saw a guy that had a 5.0 in a Volvo back when I had my 1st Fox. I thought that was pretty cool. I was like... it SOUNDS like my car! :nice:

If you know any guys looking to buy a 5.0 complete motor with GT40p heads sometime in the spring, let me know. Hopefully I'll be getting a new motor in over the winter.

v8only said:
maximum motorsports sells a kit to lower the height of the clutch pedal. I've never installed it before, so I can't vouch for it.

Hmmm.... a kit to fix the problem that was caused from their product... shouldn't that have been in the box with the original kit? :shrug:

Thanks. I'll give them a call. :nice:

technically the oem stock location of the clutch pedal sits about 2 inches higher than the brake pedal anyhow, so an aftermarket quadrant really doesn't cause this. It may aggrivate it a little, but not cause that.

The only thing I heard about the kit, is it doesn't really lock the adjustment for the height in good, and it sinks to the lowest setting, which makes full disengagement a little iffy. MM makes good stuff though, so I would imagine it should work good??? if y;ou do order that, I am very, very interested to hear what you thing of it, let me know!