Big slicks size dilemma

Xcessiv

Jul 16, 2004
Hi!

I own a '01 GT w/ some bolt-ons running 12.94 @ 108 mph. Until now, the best slicks / gear combo for me was 26x10 and 4.10. It could use the whole power band and optimize my time.

Next spring, I'll install a V2 SQ-Trim w/ Anderson 4" power pipe so I should trap @ around 115 mph which is WAY too high for a 26x10 and 4.10 combo.

Here's the problem:
1) The car currently sits on Sportlines so 28" slicks will obviously rub
2) I'd like to keep the 4.10 gear because Vortech people claim it eliminates any lag found w/ a 3.73 or 3.55
3) M/T don't offer any 27" slick which would be the best for me

What would you do?
1) Change the gear for a 3.73 and stick w/ the 26" slicks
2) Install higher springs and control arms to ensure that 28" won't rub
3) Try to find rare 27" slicks, ex.: M&H ??

Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi!

I own a '01 GT w/ some bolt-ons running 12.94 @ 108 mph. Until now, the best slicks / gear combo for me was 26x10 and 4.10. It could use the whole power band and optimize my time.

Next spring, I'll install a V2 SQ-Trim w/ Anderson 4" power pipe so I should trap @ around 115 mph which is WAY too high for a 26x10 and 4.10 combo.

Here's the problem:
1) The car currently sits on Sportlines so 28" slicks will obviously rub
2) I'd like to keep the 4.10 gear because Vortech people claim it eliminates any lag found w/ a 3.73 or 3.55
3) M/T don't offer any 27" slick which would be the best for me

What would you do?
1) Change the gear for a 3.73 and stick w/ the 26" slicks
2) Install higher springs and control arms to ensure that 28" won't rub
3) Try to find rare 27" slicks, ex.: M&H ??

Thanks for your help.
You weren't looking hard enough. Micky Thompson makes an E/T Street in a 27x10.5 :)

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294923107+4294922134+400206+115&autoview=sku

Hoosier also offers a 27x10.5" size slick.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294923107+4294922134+400343+115&autoview=sku

You're not the only one who's searched out taller tires for the track. My Cougar comes with a 26.85" tall tire as standard size. :D

ET Streets don't stick as well. :(

The ET Streets have the same M5 compound as the other small 28" or less ET Drags. The only difference between the ET Streets and the ET Drags is that ET Streets have siping cut into them to help control water if you encounter a wet road. But we all know that even with an ET Street, trying to drive on a wet road with an ET Street is like trying to ride a bicycle on a frozen lake.:)

The ET Streets have the same M5 compound as the other small 28" or less ET Drags. The only difference between the ET Streets and the ET Drags is that ET Streets have siping cut into them to help control water if you encounter a wet road. But we all know that even with an ET Street, trying to drive on a wet road with an ET Street is like trying to ride a bicycle on a frozen lake.:)
Ain't it L8 for the 26" ET Drags and M5 for the 27" ET Streets?

Edit:

Chart

Medium------------------------------Soft
B1 M7 M5 R2 R1 L8 L7 M9 B2 L4 M2

Where did you find this info? I didn't find any source stating that M5 > L8. :(

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s1

You can't just go by the compound's hardness/softness rating. It all depends on the sidewall contruction, compound used, and intended tire use.

The ET Streets with M5 compound are just as sticky as the ET Drags with the M5 compound.

M9 is the most aggressive compound for a door slammer tire.

Well I bought some used M/T Drags for 100 bucks and the are the lighest tire with the softest side wall I have ever seen. If the et streets are like this I doubt I would want to drive them on the street.

They are 26x10x15. Last year I was trapping between 119-121 on my last test and tune. That was with stock 3.23's. This year I will have 3.73's?

Well there is the DOT approved ET Street which has a non-radial wrinkle side wall design like this:

View attachment 399557

Then there is the DOT approved ET Street Radial that has a radial bias-ply design like a traditional radial street tire like this:

View attachment 399559

Then to add even further confusion:), there is the 2nd version of M/T's ET Street Radial that is the same as the above ET Street Radial just in a different tread design and different sizes:

View attachment 399561

This is M/T's ET Drag Radial:

View attachment 399563

Yeah, the problem with running non-radial case style slick on the street is that they tend to "walk" under hard acceleration and the rim really moves around a lot inside the wheel when cornering. You should probably really only match them to another bias ply style tire or a set of skinnies up front when you’re at the track.

It can be a real handful trying to fight a tire with such a soft sidewall case out back and a hard radial case up front when you're trying to keep it strait going down the 1320.

I drove my 97 Camaro Z28 drag car on the street a lot (the chute was removable:D) and with the 28x10.5W's it felt like you had regular street tires that were flat on the back. That's because the wrinkle walls aren't made for the street obviously. A lot of guys are now switching to the radial slicks because they are much more stable at the big end. My Z28 would run 8.80's at over 155 all weekend long and those 28x10.5W's felt really weird after about 900-1000ft. They wanted to "walk". I know guys that have switched to a radial and they get the same short times but they say the car feels much more stable at higher speeds.