big speed bumps are satans weapons against mustangs

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
So i'm driving to school today and they decided to put a random huge speed bump in the road which i didn't see... :bang:

so anyways, by the time i saw i was going to hit it i had time to slow down but not stop so i went over it and it sounded like it ripped my exhaust right out from under me... most horrible sound ever.

So...on the way home, i had to go over the same speed bump, because it was the only way out. So i looked around for about 20 minutes for things i can use to decrease the incline of the speed bump while i go over it and all i could find where two 2by4s so i layed them out in front of the bump and kinda ramped up them with the car but i knew on the way down the bump it was going to get hairy...sure enough another loud scraping noise shattered my ear drums

I stop to look around under the car and notice nothing funny excpet that there seemed to be some fumes leaking out from where the cat backs connect to the h-pipe. I'm not sure if it was like this before or not, theres not a lot of fumes but just enough to notice at the right light.

I proceded to drive home and of course a dog decides he wants to test out my brake pads and he darts in front of me. So i stop pretty quick, didn't have to totally slam 'em but a hard brake was required and i heard a loud, very rapid, series of bangs coming from my rear end... not like misfires but like it sounded as if someone took a pipe and started banging my exhaust with it.

I figured its nothing to do with my breakpads becuase if it was then the motion of the car when i brake would probbly have sharp stutters timed in relation to the loud bangs from the back (which i would have to say were probably 8th notes...)

I tried a few semi-sharp (not too hard) breaks on the way home and each time the rapid banging noise repeated...

HELP i don't even know what to look for. Everything seems fine under the car, nothing out of place that i can see. :shrug:

stangnet, I eagerly await your insight...

thanks

(btw sorry for the long post)

• Sponsors (?)

ok i jacked her up and wiggled everything around. The passenger side exhaust pipe when wiggled bumps against the gass tank but i'm still not sure if thats the source if the banging noise... would braking really shake the exhaust that hard? Its not that loose or anything i have to put some muscle on it to hit it against the tank...

whatcha' think

any other ideas?

will_95gt said:
ok i jacked her up and wiggled everything around. The passenger side exhaust pipe when wiggled bumps against the gass tank but i'm still not sure if thats the source if the banging noise... would braking really shake the exhaust that hard? Its not that loose or anything i have to put some muscle on it to hit it against the tank...

whatcha' think

any other ideas?

ok this is what i did. i stuck a rag in between that exhaust pipe and the gas tank so that theres no way they can bang together and i took it down the street and did a break check on it... the banging sound still occured... so its defffinitely not that pipe... dunno what else it could be

oh and cbarr, it actually did do this a tiny bit before the speed bump attacked me, but not often, i would really have to stomp the breaks hard for it to happen... now i just have to brake a little harder than normal. and i don't have a lowering kit btw lol, thats how high this damned speed bump is lol

oh crap...that's one helluva speed bump....I guess it works though lol. The only thing I can thing of is that something is rubbing somewhere on ur exhaust....maybe when the rear end lifts up a tad bit (like under hard braking) that causes something to hit that normally doesn't hit....after that I'm out of ideas.

Maybe something's loose in ur trunk?.......sometimes it's those things u'd never think about

nope, my trunk is as clean as a preacher's sheets, and yeah urban that was the second thing i checked because i've had one of those snap in the past... the sway bar seems as stiff as a rock, not loose at all... :-\ still baffled

IN NJ SPEED BUMPS Are Illegal.
Only Speed Humps are allowed...

Now if this was Private property Speed BUMPS CAN BE INSTALLED..

Not sure what state your in and quessing it was in school which means it is a private road and they can have them.

check your control arms the rear top shock bolts,ujoints,make sure brake caliper moounting hardware, did you check and see if any thing like the jack/ lugwrench/ spare tire in the spare tire area i had some sockets fall into it and every time i brake it make a clanking sound.

good luc:)>

no one said this yet so im surprised.
sounds like your exhaust did the scraping-did you see any freshly scraped marks on anything metal under your car?
to me this sounds like your exhaust got hit and it came off one of its mounts. its wagging around and hitting near by parts. there are little hooks/hangers that go down to your exhaust, you will/should see rubber bushings there as well. look and see if a hook/hanger came off (on the drivers' side near the back as you said above)
i am just speculating-best of luck

Bosko5.0 said:
check your control arms the rear top shock bolts,ujoints,make sure brake caliper moounting hardware, did you check and see if any thing like the jack/ lugwrench/ spare tire in the spare tire area i had some sockets fall into it and every time i brake it make a clanking sound.

good luc:)>

i checked the ctrl arms a little bit, kinda fittled with them but i didn't really know what i was doing in that area so i felt like i didn't really know what to look for... if i'm to check the brake caliper mounting hardware do i need to remove the tires? the shocks seemed firm when i tried to move em around. and for the ujoints, do i just see if they're loose or something?

fawcett said:
no one said this yet so im surprised.
sounds like your exhaust did the scraping-did you see any freshly scraped marks on anything metal under your car?
to me this sounds like your exhaust got hit and it came off one of its mounts. its wagging around and hitting near by parts. there are little hooks/hangers that go down to your exhaust, you will/should see rubber bushings there as well. look and see if a hook/hanger came off (on the drivers' side near the back as you said above)
i am just speculating-best of luck

yeah there are some scrapes where the mid pipes meet the catbacks. and nope, exaust is still propperly hung, checked all those, like i said everything exhaust-wise seems in order and doesn't knock around when i grab/shake it by hand.

gunfish said:
Do you still have your quad-shocks on? Because if you have taken them off to install wide tires you may be experiencing rear wheel hop under hard braking. Mine does this occasionally.
the tires that are on there now are by nitto, look like the might be wider than stock ones, i think they're drag radials, horrible traction in rain. as far as wether the quad-shocks were removed in order for their installation, i have no clue. these came with the car. but if u give me a breif description i'll check that out... btw wouldn't "reer wheel hop" make for a rough and jerky stop? If so then i don't think this is the problem because even though my car makes this hideous racket it still can stop quickly and smoothly.

gcomfx.com said:
I would also check the drive shaft for fresh scratches to see if anything is hitting or rubbing it under braking.

hmm that sounds like a reasonable thing to look for.. once this 126262 day long rainstorm moves by i'll check it out... or maybe this is a sign that i need to clear out my garage...probably not :rolleyes:

thanks for all your help so far, guys
:SNSign:

and your sure its coming from the rear of the car? as far as your quad shocks: there should be two shocks on each side of the car. one going up and down, the other going front/back.

to check your calipers you will need to take off your wheels.

when you jacked up the car to check out stuff, were you jacking up the rear? i would try jacking up the rear and then putting stands under the frame rails and letting the rear hang. this will better simulate a hard braking situation. then just start shaking stuff to see if anything is loose.