biggest tire for 91 lx w/ pony rims

My back tires are may-pops, wires are starting to show on the drive wheel, so I'm looking to get new ones all around. The guy I bought the car from put 205/50/16s on and I know stock was 225/55/16. How big can I go with the pony rim and no modifications to the fenders and quads? Would 245/50/16s work on them? What about 275s? Also, should I go with a smaller tire on the front than in the rear? I asked a guy at the tire shop in town and he tried selling me MT ET Streets for all four wheels, so I don't think he could help me with the sizes... Would 245s be too big for sharp turns on the front?

• Sponsors (?)

I run 245/50/16s with no problem all around. makes it easier for longer tire life on all four times that way than when i ran 225s in the front and 245s in the back, the fronts would always wear different, but now i'm getting prolly 3 times the life out of my tires. Don't know about the 275s though, everyone i know around here runs the 245/50s and they look plenty mean.

I had a friend who had all kinds of suspension mods; the previous owner used the car for auto cross. even with his 245/50 setup he could turn 90 degree corners going 60 with hardly a bark out of the tires.