Blew my left knee - converting 5 speed manual transmission to automatic?

Satori 5.0

Jul 7, 2008
The car in question is a trip black 1995 GT Mustang Convertible, with the original Tremic T-5 manual transmission. I love my car for the obvious reasons but just recently blew my left knee out rather badly and probably won't be able to drive stickshift for, say, the rest of my life. The car is in absolutely beautiful condition and I absolutely dont want to trade it in, so I was trying to get some information about converting it to an automatic transmission. If its possible, about how much it would cost, what would be a good matchup etc. If at all possible I'm hoping for a transmission that can be shifted manually, and locks in the gears so it is possible to take advantage of low end torque at slower engine speeds. Of course this all happens 1 year after I dropped $2000 on a full tranny rebuild, new clutch etc. Isnt life great. Anyhow, any help or advice on the subject would be most appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

That sucks man. I recently tore the meniscus in my left knee and driving my car has been painful...but it should be taken care of soon.

i tore my meniscus in my right knee! it sucks recovering. physical therapy wasnt bad, just getting in/out of that leg brace is annoying. i couldn't even sit down to take a dump with that thing on :mad:

hopefully you have a full recovery. remember DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!! it definately helps

The car in question is a trip black 1995 GT Mustang Convertible, with the original Tremic T-5 manual transmission. I love my car for the obvious reasons but just recently blew my left knee out rather badly and probably won't be able to drive stickshift for, say, the rest of my life. The car is in absolutely beautiful condition and I absolutely dont want to trade it in, so I was trying to get some information about converting it to an automatic transmission. If its possible, about how much it would cost, what would be a good matchup etc. If at all possible I'm hoping for a transmission that can be shifted manually, and locks in the gears so it is possible to take advantage of low end torque at slower engine speeds. Of course this all happens 1 year after I dropped $2000 on a full tranny rebuild, new clutch etc. Isnt life great. Anyhow, any help or advice on the subject would be most appreciated.

The simplest option would be to transplant a '94-'95 AODE but add a shift kit and a manual valve body so that you won't need the engine computer from an AODE GT as well.

i tore my meniscus in my right knee! it sucks recovering. physical therapy wasnt bad, just getting in/out of that leg brace is annoying. i couldn't even sit down to take a dump with that thing on :mad:

hopefully you have a full recovery. remember DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!! it definately helps

I did the same thing to the right knee 3 years ago. Now it's sad i'm not even 30 yet and will have had both knees scoped.

They better have some awesome arthritis stuff in 20 years :mad:

I destroyed my left knee about 5 years ago so I feel your pain, literally. I ruptured my ACL, PCL, LCL and several small tendons and muscles. In the process I tore the meniscus, clotted a main artery closed and tore the peroneal nerve. All in all not a good day. To this day I have never had my knee scoped or any surgery done on my knee. I will have to have a total knee replacement in the not to distant future and I am not looking forward to that. That said it took a while, almost a year, but I am back to driving a 5 speed Mustang. I have no pain in my knee when I drive, in fact my knee really doesn't bother me too much. So good luck with recovery and getting back behind the wheel either with a 5 speed or an auto. And like 1991vert says make sure that you do your physical therapy. It can make all the difference in the world.

Dont remember the technical term but the basic problem with my knee is that the joint is way too loose. First messed it up pretty badly way back in high school, went through a lot of physical therapy to get it working again but then just tweaked it again a month ago. Doctors say theres nothing they can recommend but lots of rest and more physical therapy, but between the long term damage and some complications with Lyme Disease that I cant seem to get rid of the basic answer is that nothings getting better fast. I've been trying to drive on it for the last month, but its getting to the point I can barely walk. If I cant pull the tranny then the car has to go, but I dont have the cash laying around for something better right now so its basically just an all bad situation.

Enough whining. Questions on automatic transmissions: are my options pretty much limited to either a C4, AOD or AODE, and would any of these offer me the option of shifting the car manually and locking the gears so it doesnt automatically downshift at steeper throttle and low RPM? Similar to the standard auto that most Audis and BMWs have it what I'm ideally thinking of here: I've been driving stickshift most of my adult life and very much enjoy being involved when driving and fully in control of the car. Lastly, what does using a manual valve body entail?

Thanks a lot to everyone for offering up there help and advice, I very much appreciate it.

Dont remember the technical term but the basic problem with my knee is that the joint is way too loose. First messed it up pretty badly way back in high school, went through a lot of physical therapy to get it working again but then just tweaked it again a month ago. Doctors say theres nothing they can recommend but lots of rest and more physical therapy, but between the long term damage and some complications with Lyme Disease that I cant seem to get rid of the basic answer is that nothings getting better fast. I've been trying to drive on it for the last month, but its getting to the point I can barely walk. If I cant pull the tranny then the car has to go, but I dont have the cash laying around for something better right now so its basically just an all bad situation.

Enough whining. Questions on automatic transmissions: are my options pretty much limited to either a C4, AOD or AODE, and would any of these offer me the option of shifting the car manually and locking the gears so it doesnt automatically downshift at steeper throttle and low RPM? Similar to the standard auto that most Audis and BMWs have it what I'm ideally thinking of here: I've been driving stickshift most of my adult life and very much enjoy being involved when driving and fully in control of the car. Lastly, what does using a manual valve body entail?

Thanks a lot to everyone for offering up there help and advice, I very much appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I, too, have modest knee trouble and I hope I dont have anything more significant in the future. And to think I am only 24...

As far as your trans, all those are options and all can be configured the way you want. There is no real option for a sportshift mode like newer cars, as the technology utilized in the mustang is far more antiquated than that. a manual valve body will make your transmission so that it only shifts manually, by starting with the shifter pulled back all the way and clicking forward in succession to upshift. any of the transmissions you mentioned can be set up this way and any competent transmission shop should be able to set you up with what you need, although probably at a bit of a cost. But since you have a quality manual setup, those parts are undoubtedly desirable so you could sell those and make back some of that cash. dont forget though that a C4 is a 3-speed automatic which means no overdrive gear so highway driving isnt ideal, nor is economy. A well built AOD with a manual valve body is likely your best bet, it is fully mechanical (well, hydraulic anyway...no electronic controls) and will work well in all situations, no matter where or how you drive the car.

I'm willing to bet if you find some local mustang boards, you will find guys that will not only trade you straight up, but will do at least half if not all the work just so they can have a 5 speed instead of an automatic.
Add a converter and shift kit and you should be pretty good to go.
Not sure what your budget is, but doing more than these two items can get very expensive, built autos are not cheap.

i was considering using a 4r70w out of a 99 up 4.2 truck. these are good to 450-500hp and have the quick 2.84 1st gear. the problem is you need a stand alone trans computer that runs in the $500 to $600 range. this might be an option for you too.

I'm currently located in the North Jersey area, near morristown.

Are there any books or manuals available that would describe in depth how to go about a transmission swap, manual to auto preferred but just auto would also probably work. The only one I know of and am try to locate is the AODE/4R70W service manual. On that note does anyone have any further information about what model year 4R70W transmissions I could use, or even if I could use one at all? Would I need a standalone transmission computer, or is a manual valve body sufficient?

Manual valve body sounds like it’s exactly what I’m looking for in terms of performance. Anyone have further information or manuals on how to install one or what it entails?