Blown Head Gasket Fixed, Engine is All Screwed Up Now

5.0 Mustang Man

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
New Mexico
Yesterday I was spraying a 100 shot on my car and when I was done, the car was acting very wierd. For one, it got very hot like never before. Two, it wouldn't idle and didnt want to start for crap. So, I pulled the dipstick and sure enough it was milky. Today I tore the motor down and put ion new head gaskets (the passenger side was all blown out and the drivers side was rough to). I got it all done and went to start it. I got it started but it acts very funny now. I went ahead and dtraind the oil and put in new. It still seems to have water in it. I figured there would still be a little, but it is really milky at the top of the fill tube on the valve cover. I think most of the water should be gone after changing the oil shouldnt it? Here is the big problem.. The motor runs crappy. It seems like it is fine at full throttle(quite good actually), but at idle, it just wants to die and wont run right at all. Also, when I was driving, the breaks were acting very wierd. They were getting very hard like they lost vaccume. When I would drive the car for a minute they got a little better but at low rpm they are almost not even working. My vaccum lines are hooked up correctly. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Could the block be cracked or something? Please, somebody help me out, I'm stumped and this is my daily driver. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to sell the damn thing. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

when you change head gaskets, it's usually a good idea to have the heads milled a little to make sure they're flat and not warped, etc. You got new head bolts right? They stretch, which is why you need new ones. Did you hook the PCV back up? I'm not doubting your ability, so please don't take it that way, just going through some questions to jog your memory.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt the milky stuff will come out right away...it's stuck in there. You might try some engine cleaner...I have used sea foam.

What is your timing set at? Did you check it with a timing light? That could cause it to run crappy.

You could listen for vacuum leaks, but the first thing I would do as far as the brakes go is make sure you don't have a brake fluid leak and also check to make sure the master cyclinder is full. It could be just a coincidence and maybe it's just time to do a brake job.