Blue smoke after Cobra intake install?

Cardinal Sin89

Dec 8, 2009
I installed a cobra intake(original) about 3 weeks ago. The car works good but I could smell something inside the car and then today I let someone else drive it so I could follow and see if it smokeing and it smokes constantly especially on decel. I used all new gaskets, RTV sealant on the fron and back of intake. Any help would be apreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Well obviously if its buring something, something is leaking into the CC. Blue indicates oil burning but i dont see how putting an intake on would cause oil to burn.Black/Grey is a rich condition. What color is your smoke? Other than the smoke the car runs perfect?

If it is a Chinese-make new Cobra intake, the problem is the intake. Look for the Ford Racing logo near the throttle body. Only the knock-offs have that. If you contact Ford Racing Performance, they will send you a fix for the problem, but you're going to have to remove the intake to fix it. Or you could just do what I did and sell the POS and get a real intake.

There have been many discussions about this problem, both here and on Corral. Do a quick search and you'll be able to pull up all the details.

Make sure you check your oil regularly until you fix it. Mine burned a quart in less than 200 miles.

Good for you.

This is a known problem that has been well-documented here and on many other Mustang sites. FRPP has a "fix kit" to take care of the problem for a reason.

To the OP: Check your spark plugs. I will guarantee that numbers 4 and 8 are, or are getting, oil fouled.

The fix is a large baffle plate that is installed on the underside of the lower intake. They give to you for free, along with attaching rivets and new intake gaskets, as long as you can prove that you are the original purchaser of the part.

This is just from my observations of people that I've encountered on different forums, but it seems that folks with aftermarket heads seem to be much more inclined to have the oil consumption problems than people with stock heads.

The intake made good power with my combo, but I just wasn't going to have an under-engineered piece of Chinese crap on my car. I offed it and found a new in the box GT40 tubular unit for $300.