Blueprint crate engines from Summit/Blueprint? 347/425hp/410tq for $5k-6k

70vert

Dec 31, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Hey all,
I know there will be some "you get what you pay for" responses, but some of these crate engines are less than you'll pay for an aftermarket short block. I know they're not blueprinted, so the name is a bit misleading, but some of them seem like a terrific value, especially the forged crank model right here below at Blueprint for $5k.
I'm committed myself to going the local builder route and using my 302's original block, but these engines are tempting. 30 month/50k warranty. You could have two of them and have a spare lying around if you need warranty service for what some of us are paying for a single engine . . .
Anybody have any experience firsthand, or even second or thirdhand? For a lot of us struggling with a sea of engine options, a million ways to spend money and screw it up, and a lack of top-end kits for older Fords, (as compared with Chevy, or newer EFI fords) these have to be tempting.
Don't ask me why Summit charged $6k for what appears to be the exact same engine and part # as you get from Blueprint . . .

Blueprint Engines.com: Custom Crate Motors - Stroker Engines - Stroker Motors

Crate Engines - SummitRacing.com

• Sponsors (?)

we installed a 347 cast iron headed long block carb to pan a few years ago with no issues until the customer tried to re time the engine by ear. Then went to show someone the power and blew the hell out of the piston.

@12sec67: so that was operator/amateur mechanic error, eh? I wonder if they honored the warranty if he messed up the timing himself . . .

@blkfrd: yeah, I feel like the more legitimate, good value options there are out there, the better off we all are. It's good to have choice and competition . . .

@Sad: nope, just checked. That 351w's not doing it for you, eh? Fordracing.com, maybe?

Hope this helps somebody here who's on a tight budget, and maybe even a tight timeline. That kind of price/performance makes me want to go out and buy one of those "just needs engine" projects on craigslist . . . .

@blkfrd: by the way, noticed in your sig that you went with shaft rockers and beehive springs. What's the top end of your usable RPM there? And I'm a little stupid on the 1.6 and 1.7 springs - my guess is you went 1.7 to give the spring more leverage to close the valve? I'm talking with my builder right now and looking at 1.7 Probe shaft mounted rockers. Whose kit did you go with?

In any case, that looks like a well thought out and reliable valvetrain . . .

Yeah, sure the customer screwed the pooch on that one. After 2 years, the dist nut came loose and threw his timing out. The moron at the parts store told him he could set by ear. Which he probably could have, or gotten really close if he new the idle rpm and shot for that when it was warmed up. So he set it by ear and the first time he tried to "let her hear the power", it rattled isteld into catostrophic failure.98% of no 5 piston in pan, the rest on top of the other pistons, locking the motor. Wrist pin and top of the rod punch a whole in the block. Everything but crank is worthless......no one warranties detonation lol

Can't believe I said "1.6 or 1.7 springs" - I meant beehive springs with 1.7 rockers

I meant 1.6 or 1.7 rockers with beehive springs, lol . . .

I would have expected a little more from your setup, since my builder (not Blueprint, I'm not using them but I think they are a great option) was able to take a 331 up to about 415hp, 411tq with a less robust valvetrain. As it is, they expect maybe 370-400 if I go Dart heads and maybe an Air Gap. I've got to think you've got a bunch more power available there, especially if you can let it breathe at higher rpms . . .

I don't expect to go to that RPM with hydraulic lifters, but I would think the extra usable RPM range would give you more time to shift and would certainly be more fun - nothing quite like the sound of a screaming small block to strike fear in the hearts of men . . .

My usable rpm is 7000 (made 330 RWHP up there with timing set wrong)...valve float is around 7300 to 7400. I had it dyno'd back in December and I told the guy to take it to the rev limiter which turned out to be at 7200 and there was no valve float. I expected the rev limiter to kick in at 7000 so I have since adjusted it down 200 rpm.

You won't need the shaft mounts even for 7000 rpm. I got them because for something like $150 more than the cost of Comps Pro Magnum rockers I could have shaft mounts. Unless you get a solid lifter cam or a hydraulic made to work up to 7000 (they do exist, but don't expect the Blueprint engine to come with one), your engine will not make usable power up to that rpm. A single plane is a usually a must for rpms above 6500 too.