Borgeson steering with Shelby Pitman arm ?

My '66 GT has factory manual steering. With that factory manual steering box I've installed the Shelby pitman arm and a matching rollerised idler arm.

I intend to replace the manual steering box with the Borgeson conversion. Is there any reason why I can't use the Shelby pitman arm and idler arm combo when I install the Borgeson power steering kit - or do I need to go back to the standard manual steering Mustang ptiman/idler arm combo ?

• Sponsors (?)

I would advise against using the Shelby parts with power steering. The forces are so much higher with power steering, that hitting curbs and potholes can cause damage, or worse, breakage.

Check the Vendor Sponsor Forum here, there's a thread titled "New Mustang Steering Product" - you can put that question directly to Borgeson. They're on Facebook, too.

Since this box is adapted from an Isuzu Trooper unit (IIRC) and was originally set up with a larger sector shaft, I suspect the internals can handle any additional load that the Shelby parts may cause. As for the Shelby parts, they look stout to me.

I drove a 70 MACH 1 yesterday that was equipped with the Borgeson PS box. It seemed to have a real tight turning radius. The longer Shelby Pitman Arm and Idler might cause it to be even tighter resulting in the tires rubbing inside the wheelhouse.

Check the Vendor Sponsor Forum here, there's a thread titled "New Mustang Steering Product" - you can put that question directly to Borgeson. They're on Facebook, too.

Since this box is adapted from an Isuzu Trooper unit (IIRC) and was originally set up with a larger sector shaft, I suspect the internals can handle any additional load that the Shelby parts may cause. As for the Shelby parts, they look stout to me.

Thanks for the information, I didn't know that. I have submitted a question via the Vendor Sponsor Forum

the only issues i see with using the longer shelby pitman and idler arms arm a little more steering travel at the wheels, and more sensitivity to steering input since the steering ratio becomes even faster with the longer arms. remember that the borgeson box is already at 16:1 like the shelby system, and with the longer arms i think the overall ratio goes closer to 13.5:1 roughly(that is a rough guestimate). other than those issues i see no problem with using the shelby parts. just remember that your steering ratio will be quicker still.