Boss intake dyno numbers and discussion

SteedaGus

Premium Sponsor
Apr 14, 2005
Pompano Beach, FL
Hi guys. With all the buzz on the Boss intake going around, I wanted to take the opportunity to share our own finding and opinions on this intake.

The candidate car for our dyno's was not completely stock. It already had an intake and tune package making well over 400 at the wheels. The vehicle in question had stock exhaust and no other power modifications outside the Steeda cold air and tune.

We switched to the Boss intake and made many pulls to optimize the tune and get the best results we could. The results are below.

BOSSINTAKE93OCTW-CURSOR.jpg

As you can see, peak to peak numbers went up 20 horsepower. As expected though where the stock manifold falls off, the Boss manifold is no where near finished. The highlighted point around 7250rpm shows an impressive 53hp gain. Peak torque is down 14ft/lbs, but points in the midrange loose as much as 27 ft/lbs of torque.

Is this worth it to upgrade if you already have a cold air and tune? For many I think the answer will be yes, but this is definitely not for everyone.

An owner with a cold air/tune, and 3.31 gears that goes to the Boss manifold, tune, and 3.73's at the same time I think will be more than happy as the gears would absorb the feel of the torque loss. It is all going to matter on perspective and intended use.

I may have missed it, but I dont think I've seen anyone do a dyno on a stock intake/stock airbox/stock tune car vs the Boss intake/cold air/tune. We didnt have a car available to us to do the test this way.

We have speculated that compared to a completely bone stock car, the boss intake/cold air/tune combo would give up little if any torque compared to a car that is already making more torque because of tuning.

Looking though all the stock dyno's we had, all of them shut off pretty early due to the stock rev limiter so there is no way to compare how much top end power you make compared to a completely stock car.

I did find a dyno pull from one of our very early dyno development days. The pull is from a car with a stock airbox and very minor tune tweaks as we were just starting the development work. This pull was making around 10 to 12hp more than stock. Because it has a tune, the rev limiter is not an issue and you can use it just to get a vague idea of what the possibilities are.

Disclaimer: This comparison is in no way scientific. It is not same day/same car. Only same dyno on completely different days and weather conditions. It does give us a vague idea on what the gains may possibly be compared to a mostly stock car. Not accurate, but useful enough to give us trend.

BOSSINTAKEVSSTOCKWITHEARLYTUNE.jpg

As you can see, the torque curve is pretty close. This is not same car/same day as I mentioned earlier so I wont go as far to say that the Boss intake setup actually made more torque than stock, but the trend certainly points to near stock levels of torque. So for owners satisfied with the stock torque curve and want massive horsepower gains, this comparison tends to trend towards that exact result. Based on this comparison you are looking at the possibility of 80 horsepower at high RPM with near stock torque levels. Very interesting to say the least.

• Sponsors (?)

I have been giving this intake some thought myself.
I want better performance, but I also just love the way it looks BAD ASS!
I can see where it would maybe improve 1/4 mile times or be very usefull on a road course, but im more concerned about real street performance. Like when that camaro ss pulls up at the red light or next to you at a roll. I think tourqe will be needed before you hit the 5000 rpm range and dont really want to give any up.
My car does already have the Steeda CAI & tune, Steeda axleback & 3.55 gears. I have long tube headers & X waiting to go on.
What is your opinion on my bennifits of using the Boss intake?

I have been giving this intake some thought myself.
I want better performance, but I also just love the way it looks BAD ASS!
I can see where it would maybe improve 1/4 mile times or be very usefull on a road course, but im more concerned about real street performance. Like when that camaro ss pulls up at the red light or next to you at a roll. I think tourqe will be needed before you hit the 5000 rpm range and dont really want to give any up.
My car does already have the Steeda CAI & tune, Steeda axleback & 3.55 gears. I have long tube headers & X waiting to go on.
What is your opinion on my bennifits of using the Boss intake?

For your application you will loose some torque to trade up to top end horsepower. Your results will probably closely resemble the first dyno sheet we posted. Meaning you will gain in the neighborhood of 20 peak horsepower, near 50 way up in the band, but loose about 25 ft/lbs in the midrange.

Well, you will lose power over 70% of your power band to gain in the last 30%. Seems to me nobody should be buying this intake unless your keeping your revs above 5,000 r.p.m. all the time. Maybe a dedicated drag racer would benefit, but it's a loser for a street car.

That's only first gear. You might be a bit behind from a stop through first gear, but every gear thereafter is going to accelerate harder. 3.73 gears or higher are going to get you into that powerband lickity-split. If you race from a roll, then the torque loss is a non-issue altogether. Sounds like a great investment and sounds like it'll pick up 2 tenths in the 1/4. If so, that's not bad for less than $500.

Chris

That's only first gear. You might be a bit behind from a stop through first gear, but every gear thereafter is going to accelerate harder. 3.73 gears or higher are going to get you into that powerband lickity-split. If you race from a roll, then the torque loss is a non-issue altogether. Sounds like a great investment and sounds like it'll pick up 2 tenths in the 1/4. If so, that's not bad for less than $500.

Chris

Yea, I think im going to go for it!!!