Bought my first Mustang and it has isssues help!!

PATS GT

Nov 19, 2006
Alright fellas, im new to this forum and yes I am a chevy guy please dont hold it against me lol! I am a new owner of a 1996 4.6 GT Mustang I also have a 427ci 2003 Z06 Corvette.. Well now to my problem, I just bought this mustang and its running horrible, lost compression in 3 cylinders pings etc. I bought it knowing it needed motor work. The car has a shopping list of performance parts on it, the entire motor was just built in the last 10 mths it has a Cobra steal crank, 10.5.1 Manley forged flat top pistons & rods, comp cams 236/240 dur @ .050 ,New 2003 PI aluminum heads, aftermarket TB, upper and lower intake, long tube headers, no cats, x-pipe, adj fuel regulator, 2400 stall and 373 gears, And tuning was done by Ramseys Performance in Tampa, FL. Apperantly after the tuning was done the motor just started going down hill...Any ideas? Burnt valves maybe? I herd somthing about 4.6 L cam lobes coming lose?? Im lost

• Sponsors (?)

Well to bad for me the guy I bought the car from installed the motor himself, he claims he was a mechanic for 25 years. The longblock was built by Engine lab of Tampa. They say since they used the customers parts that he provided that there is no warranty if something is wrong with the longblock.. Btw the car did put out halfway decent numbers on the mustang dyno 284 RWHP 294 RWTQ SAE and it is an auto

Take it to a new shop, a good one in your area, and have it checked out. What state are you in?

BTW, this is the reason that modified Mustangs are generally worth less than stock ones...

Kilgore Trout said:
Take it to a new shop, a good one in your area, and have it checked out. What state are you in?

BTW, this is the reason that modified Mustangs are generally worth less than stock ones...
Any truth to the cam lobes being a problem with these motors? this motor has comp cams, are there lobes pressed on also? btw I am in tampa FL

I have not heard anything about cam lobes being a problem but I am just a hobbyist mechanic.

There are a lot of people here from FL they will be able to recommend a good shop.

Kilgore Trout said:
I have not heard anything about cam lobes being a problem but I am just a hobbyist mechanic.

There are a lot of people here from FL they will be able to recommend a good shop.
I hear you, but I am very stubborn. I am A do it yourselfer lol.. Just trying to get some ideas on what to look for or where to start.

If the compression is low, you going to have to pull the motor anyways. Just no way around it.

Pull the heads off and have them checked...im pretty sure that the valves are not sealing. If it isnt, then it doesnt matter as you would have to pull the heads anyways to re-ring the motor.

Good luck and I hope its just the heads :).

BTW dont expect TOO much more RWHP from that motor when its running correctly...you would be LUCKY to make 300RWHP on that mustang dyno IMO. Heck those mods would MAYBE net 300RWHP on a dyno jet...through an auto. Its never going to be anywhere close to a 427CI vette lol...unless you go with ported 4V heads on the stang.

hotmustang331 said:
If the compression is low, you going to have to pull the motor anyways. Just no way around it.

Pull the heads off and have them checked...im pretty sure that the valves are not sealing. If it isnt, then it doesnt matter as you would have to pull the heads anyways to re-ring the motor.

Good luck and I hope its just the heads :).

BTW dont expect TOO much more RWHP from that motor when its running correctly...you would be LUCKY to make 300RWHP on that mustang dyno IMO. Heck those mods would MAYBE net 300RWHP on a dyno jet...through an auto. Its never going to be anywhere close to a 427CI vette lol...unless you go with ported 4V heads on the stang.
Pulled the motor out, All 8 intake valves are bent. They were nailing the pistons. Either the machine shop that built it did'nt check piston to valve clearance or just installed the timing chains incorrectly.:notnice:

Kilgore Trout said:
This is the reason that modified Mustangs are generally worth less than stock ones... Sorry to hear about your bad luck with this one mang :(
That could be said for any modified car. Im not in too bad on this one. I only paid 2k for it and the car is in pretty good shape.:nice: ...I am hoping this isnt too bad. National cylinder head is rebuilding the heads for $275 Everthing else seems to be ok.

PATS GT said:
That could be said for any modified car. Im not in too bad on this one. I only paid 2k for it and the car is in pretty good shape.:nice: ...I am hoping this isnt too bad. National cylinder head is rebuilding the heads for $275 Everthing else seems to be ok.

Sounds like you still got a pretty good deal then. I would suggest getting some adjustable cam gears and degreeing the cams when you put it back together, to prevent the same thing from happening again.