Brake Caliper Interchange S550 and S197

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
The 2 piston standard caliper that is on most all 2005-2014 base models. Yes the caliper is the same, but the rotors and brackets are different. Does anyone know if the 2016 ecoboost 2 piston is the same one.

I'm fabricating stock 2 pistons on my 1965 until i decide to spend some big bucks and can get all the parts cheap but they are coming from different years. I'll have the correct size rotor 12.4 or 13.2 and the bracket that works. And I can get 2 pistons off a 2016 ecoboost and don't know if they will mate up the to brackets from 2005-2014.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say make sure you get the caliper and mount bracket...

141.61175_TopFront__ra_p.jpg
Like this.

Then make your own adapter to fit the spindle mounts you are using.

That's what I did to use Lincoln LS calipers and rotors on as '01 Mustang spindle.

IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1010.JPG

I would say make sure you get the caliper and mount bracket...

141.61175_TopFront__ra_p.jpg
Like this.

Then make your own adapter to fit the spindle mounts you are using.

That's what I did to use Lincoln LS calipers and rotors on as '01 Mustang spindle.

IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1010.JPG

I found the difference between the 2 is a washer on the brackets. I have spindles for my 65 that does not have brake tabs on it because I will add them myself to fit the generation that has the most options. I'm most likely going with the S197 since the aftermarket BBK have smaller rotors due to smaller rims during those years. No way I can fit a 15 rotor in a 65. Thats the size of the original wheels.

Every spindle needs to have some provision for brake caliper mount. Yes it will not match up to any modern OEM brake caliper and you will need to fabricate or have someone make it for you.

What size rim are you planning to run? That will determine maximum rotor size and can point you in the direction of an OEM source for those rotors, which will then dictate a caliper that will work.

For example... the Cobra 13" rotor is 1.1" thick, the 2011-2014 GT 13.23" rotor is 1.18" thick (as is the 12.44" Mustang rotor), so probably can't use Cobra calipers with those rotors (at least not with new pads) and vise versa, if you used 2011-2014 GT calipers with Cobra rotors, you could have issues when the pads get worn and the rotor is worn.

I found the difference between the 2 is a washer on the brackets. I have spindles for my 65 that does not have brake tabs on it because I will add them myself to fit the generation that has the most options. I'm most likely going with the S197 since the aftermarket BBK have smaller rotors due to smaller rims during those years. No way I can fit a 15 rotor in a 65. Thats the size of the original wheels.

You may be seeing the information on the 2015+ GT's 2 piston calipers. They are much larger and do require a washer as a spacer on the spindle. They also won't fit inside anything smaller than a 19" wheel as far as I know.