Brake conversion

i was wondering if anyone knows about using rotors and calipers off of a different car on a 2000 GT. Im dirt poor and need a better brake system. eventually i might get something better. so if any one has any ideas about calipers from an expedition or
f150. i just need calipers that will fit a larger rotor. i have a problem with my rotors warping so i thought that larger discs would help improve that and stopping distance.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get bullitt or cobra brakes from buyfordracing.com for sorta cheep. Or maybe get cobra brakes from some wrecking yard, but the pads are still expensive if they dont come with good ones. Mustang parts specialties might not have them for a bad price either, but i dont remember their web address.

buyfordracing.com is the best place ive found for the cobra/bullitt/mach-1 13" upgrade

for about 330-340 shipped you can get the mach kit that comes with all new parts

calipers
pads
brembo rotors
stainless lines (includes banjo bolts and crush washers)

You could scrounge around and find some (relatively) cheap cross drilled rotors and use Hawk pads. I run NASA and am not allowed to change the brakes so that's what I did. It's an improvement. Try summit for the rotors and check out a hard core race store for the pads. BTW expect them to squeak.

I have Hawk pads, and Power Slot slotted discs all the way around. It made a huge difference over stock. They grab hard, and unless you take your car to the track should last you a long time. Also, you won't have to worry about your stock wheels fitting around them.

you dont need slotted or crossdrilled rotors. if you want the look then ya get them. if you plan on autocrossing or open tracking your car, dont get them.

calipers "look" similar to the 99-04 V6/GT pistons but are different. i just ordered new rotors and pads for my setup. i got Brembo blanks rotors(NOT slotted or crossdrilled) and Hawk HPS pads.

are the cross drilled or slotted not spose to have an advantage over the plain rotors? how are the cobra calipers different from the stock GT?

yeah they are supposed to be better.. for normal street use, but if you are hard on them like with autocrossing then they warp really easy...

cobra calipers are dual piston as the GT's are single... but the cobras also use a bigger rotor then the GT does so you have more leverage over a smaller rotor...

cobra calipers are dual piston as the GT's are single... but the cobras also use a bigger rotor then the GT does so you have more leverage over a smaller rotor...

partly true. the 94-98 GTs had a single piston, however the 99-04 had a dual piston caliper on the same size rotor. they are all made by PBR IIRC, but the Cobra PBRs are a different design. PBR is an Australian company that also makes the OEM brakes for Corvette, Monaro/GTO, as well as the Baer kits.

99-04 had twin!!!!! i hate you guys...

well i have 4 piston front calipers. although if i did it all over i wouldve gone with the 6 piston front and 4 piston rears with integral drum parking brake on the rear.

whats nice about the Cobra R front setup is that it uses the same brake pads as a Dodge Viper. its actually easier on parts people if you tell them you have a viper than a cobra R. although tirerack has a seperate listing for cobra R's.

i was wondering if anyone knows about using rotors and calipers off of a different car on a 2000 GT. Im dirt poor and need a better brake system.

You say you're dirt poor? Then why do you think you need better brakes? The '99-up cars with their PBR dual piston front calipers and rear disks set ups are more than capable of halting a Mustang with stock size wheels down from any speed. :shrug:

well i have 4 piston front calipers. although if i did it all over i wouldve gone with the 6 piston front and 4 piston rears with integral drum parking brake on the rear.

whats nice about the Cobra R front setup is that it uses the same brake pads as a Dodge Viper. its actually easier on parts people if you tell them you have a viper than a cobra R. although tirerack has a seperate listing for cobra R's.
does the viper use the same caliper with the same mounting bracket as the 00r? i know the focus brembo's are the same as the cobras