Brake lights don’t work

Mace111

Feb 27, 2020
Jacksonville
Ok so this is my first post not to sure how this works but I need help and I had seen one post that was kinda helping me but I need more information I have a 2001 mustang gt automatic that is having some very weird stuff going on and I’m going to try to get it all out in one post it started with my car will not come out of park then I found out a lot of things just stopped working all at the same time like break lights, running lights and dash lights now I tried to see if I could fix it and this is what I have found out so far if I pull the head light switch half way between off and running lights my running lights and dash light would flicker on and off so I replaced the switch still didn’t work so I checked the fuses and 41 and 33 were blown so changed then and they just blow so I see the multifunction switch can be a problem so I changed that still don’t work so I changed the break switch still don’t work I checked the grounds in the truck and they look good so I started to play with fuses and found that if I unplugged the brake switch I can put the fuses back in and it will not blow until I plug in the brake switch in and I tried to do that again with the multifunction switch disconnected and it still blows the fuse so I believe that I have a problem between the brake switch and the wire that goes to the multifunction switch but I’m not sure and I can’t find anything that looks bad other than when I bypassed the fuse 33 and drove to work and it started to melt the wires at the switch changed the switch again still no change also I don’t know if this is related to this problem but I have a problem that the odometer will not always light up but now for some reason while I was driving to work it will stay on until I press the brake then it turns off and it didn’t do that before this problem but it has always not lit up all the time just when it wants to

• Sponsors (?)

Update found the correct wire diagram found that I have a short somewhere between the brake switch and multifunction switch on the dark green wire so I ran a wire a wire from the brake switch to the multifunction switch and now I’m not blowing fuses or trying to burn my car down and my break lights work but I still don’t have running lights or dash lights please help me someone

Attachments

• AB5ABD7D-59EA-4A97-A70C-C51022F90BA5.jpeg
    AB5ABD7D-59EA-4A97-A70C-C51022F90BA5.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 145
What model year Mustang are we dealing with?

Do you have a test light that can "load" the circuit? It's an affordable testing tool that would provide important information.

If this were my car I would use a test light with the pig tail attached to battery positive. Remove fuse #33, With the test light probe the SUPPLY side of the fuse. Does the test light light? Does it light BRIGHT or dim?

Now repeat the test with the brake light bulbs removed. What does the test light do?

What model year Mustang are we dealing with?

Do you have a test light that can "load" the circuit? It's an affordable testing tool that would provide important information.

If this were my car I would use a test light with the pig tail attached to battery positive. Remove fuse #33, With the test light probe the SUPPLY side of the fuse. Does the test light light? Does it light BRIGHT or dim?

Now repeat the test with the brake light bulbs removed. What does the test light do?

did you read both of my posts I have done some tests and found out some information and said the year