Brakes question: SN95 Cobra front, drum rear?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
Edited Cobra brake question: 93 Cobra booster/Stock 93 MC?

Would there be any problems running Cobra front, two piston, SN95 front calipers on 13" disks, and keeping 9" rear disk (Ranger drums) with a stock master, booster, prop valve?

Just curious because I am trying to nail down my brake fade issue. After doing this install, I am having bad brake fade. Coupled with my "soft pedal" issue, the car doesn't stop as well with this setup than it did with the stock stuff. The rotors were used and were turned smooth to just a hair under spec. The pads were used, roughly 500 miles on them, good meat and no visible defects. The calipers are used but are in great shape, again only about 500 miles on them.

The soft pedal issue is a vac problem, I am sure. I KNOW it isn't a bleeding issue, as I flushed the system the system with the old stuff and again when I did the swap, the pedal has the same exact feel to it. I believe it is a vac issue because if I pump the brakes, the pedal does NOT get stiffer. But if I rev the engine to 3000rpms and quickly take my foot off the gas, as the rpms start to drop, then hit the brakes, the pedal is nice and stiff as it should be. So basically the pedal ONLY feels solid when the rpms are dropping from the higher rpm range (2500+). It could be the check valve, or possibly the booster itself...I don't know. But unfortunately I don't have the time to replace either or switch to rear disk right now.

So I guess that is basically two problems, but I am really focused on the brake fade right now.

EDIT:

With the above setup, what would I need to do to change to a 93 Cobra booster? I am thinking that I am having a booster issue that is causing my soft pedal problem, and if I am going to swap boosters I might as well go with a 93 Cobra booster, mainly because there is no need to modify to install it. I would be running a stock MC, I just replaced it a short while ago, and I don't have rear disk so the stock master should work fine. I just don't know what would needed to be done to use a stock 93 MC on a 93 Cobra booster....or if there really isn't a need to change and just stick with a new stock booster.

• Sponsors (?)

brake fade dosent happen or is very slight with the cobra fronts...trust me i know from repeated stops from 90+...its got to be in the master cyclinder or booster(if you have it bleed like you say). You do need a different MS and booster to get the cobra stuff to work well. hope I narrowed it down. goo luck

I did the 95 Cobra calipers and rotor swap to a 95 GT I had. The brakes did the same thing as yours. Worse than stock setup and the fade was unbelievable. Foget about stopping fast. I had other Cobra calipers that I sold a customer of mine, and he told me the same thing too. I don't know what you have to do to get it right with the Cobra calipers.

I used the 99-04 PBR's from the GT. I put this set up on my 91 LX. The car stops excellent even with the stock rear drum brakes. I love this setup and wouldn't trade it for another. Good luck with yours....:flag:

Can you simply use a stock 93 MC on a 93 Cobra booster? Or would I b better off just getting a new stock booster? This is in hopes of fixing my soft pedal problem, which I think is booster related.