Break in oil in a Roller cam 302

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Anyone use a break in oil in a roller cam engine on here?? I see alot of fancy expensive oils nowadays, I wonder if its worth it?
I would probably use it in a flat tappet engine, but is it necessary in a roller cam??
If anyone uses this , what brand and weight oil are you using??

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is this a fresh build?
Yes 030 over with new pistons, bearings, cam and pretty much everything......
DSCF0787.JPG

The extra zinc and moly are for flat tappet camshafts. If assembly lube is used and it’s pre oiled, a high quality oil should do well.
If the assembly lube and pre oil are not used, the oil might not matter much.

Ohhh you threaded the front galleys! Nice!

I have heard good things about "Driven Oils". Alot is to promote good ring seal.

That's probably what I will use on my next build, I used Cenpeco Super Racing in the past but feel it does not have the addictive package that is truly required for proper ring sealing.

Scott

Brad Penn for what its worth. Break them in with it and run them with it.
Good stuff! This would be my choice if I still ran flat tappets.

I mainly use Mobil1 for modern engines run in development on engine dynos and never have any issues with bearing or ring break-in. It probably wouldn't work for flat tappet cams due to the zinc issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Just run some 10w30 rotella (or really anything conventional) for the first few heat cycles and drives, dump it and put some more in. Beat on it for a couple hundred miles, dump it again, cut open the filter and look at it, and then run whatever you want.

If it’s just a cruiser that will occasionally get driven spirited there’s no reason to get fancy with oil. Mobil 1 from Walmart is fine.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users