• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Breaks are squealing, car is fairly new.........

  • Thread starter Thread starter vipergts281
  • Start date Start date Dec 10, 2003

vipergts281

Mr. Metrosexual
Founding Member
Apr 17, 2002
2,503
0
0
Probably driving somewhere.
Dec 10, 2003
#1
  • Dec 10, 2003
  • #1
I currently have just over 8,200 miles on my car now. When coming to stop, my brakes squeal. I noticed this started happening at around 6,000 miles. Is there any reason why this is happening. They can't possibly need to be replaced already, can they. I do understand dirt can cause breaks to squeal, but I do not believe that is what is causing this.

Any insight on this? Add this to the list I guess.

Thanks.
 

nyuk98gt

15 Year Member
Oct 10, 2000
1,427
6
79
Chesterfield, MO
Dec 10, 2003
#2
  • Dec 10, 2003
  • #2
vipergts281:

I suggest you try the Hawk Performance burnishing procedure:

1. Make 6 to 10 stops from approx. 30 to 35 mph, applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approx. 40 to 45 mph.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. After Step 4, your new brake pads are ready to use.

Give it a shot and let us know if this helps (please).
 

DeadLurker

Daily Driven
Sep 7, 2001
7,702
0
0
New York
Dec 10, 2003
#3
  • Dec 10, 2003
  • #3
Do they squeal only when you press the brake or do they also make noise when you let off on the brake pedal? Also any idea if it's the front or rear ones?
 

Saleen201

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
1,271
0
0
Doha, Qatar
Dec 11, 2003
#4
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #4
vipergts281 said:
Add this to the list I guess.
Click to expand...

damn dude... no luck at all
 

mogs01gt

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
3,113
30
119
Ohio
Dec 11, 2003
#5
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #5
brake dust
 
0

01'TRUE BLUE GT

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
4,984
0
0
Pittsburgh, PA.
Dec 11, 2003
#6
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #6
Sometimes a piece of material missing from one of the pads can cause a squeal and so can pads that are actually loose in the caliper ... I'd start looking there. Your car is so new I wouldn't even screw with it unless you like to check that type of stuff yourself.

I only have a little over 26k miles on mine and my pads are probably about 50% yet or better. I haven't had mine off the car yet and most of my experience was with GM brakes in the past. Some people use that blue spooge on the back of pads to quiet them (I never have). When I installed pads before I used to make sure they fit really tight in the caliper by bending the metal ears on the pads and then squeeze them into place with channel locks. Loose pads can vibrate and make noise, that's what I was referring to above. You can also check the anti-rattle clips too and make sure they're tight ... if we even have them? Like I said I never had mine apart yet and I'm more familiar with GM. Hope that helps some, good luck.
 

vipergts281

Mr. Metrosexual
Founding Member
Apr 17, 2002
2,503
0
0
Probably driving somewhere.
Dec 11, 2003
#7
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #7
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

It is my front brakes and it does it only when I am on them. Not after I let my foot off.

I'll be the first to admit, I am not easy on my brakes. But I see no reason why they would be worn out at such low mileage.

nyuk98gt- Thanks for the tips. But shouldn't I only do that with new brakes? I know it won't hurt my breaks, but I don't think that will do anything.

I guess I'll have Ford look at them when I take my car in to have my seat back replaced and radio fixed. I know what to look for, but I really don't feel like jacking my car up and taking my wheels off and then looking at my brakes.

Thanks guys.
 

bowens99GT

Founding Member
Aug 27, 2002
655
0
0
On some dirt road in Arkansas
Dec 11, 2003
#8
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #8
I would say some small peice of something is stuck and making the noise.....wasnt the case with mine. It was the whole axle.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
449
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
B
Engine Strange Noise
  • burntokita
  • May 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
480
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 11, 2026
keel
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
255
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
J
Loud squealing sound
  • JJHstang
  • Apr 30, 2024
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
485
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Apr 30, 2024
85GTStangGuy
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
385
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?