Budget 306 need advice.

gt-351

Oct 25, 2004
va
I know this seems silly to most but a fellow employee was looking to build a 306 for his 78 Ranchero. He's looking to build about 300-350 hp with little cash. I thought some junk yard "p" heads and some pistons that would get him about 9.5 or 10-1 with a flat tappet cam that has around .500 lift and some duration in the 230's would get him there. What do you guys think? Remember motor is carbed and money is a BIG factor. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If he just wants a motor for it and cheap, get a junk yard engine. there are many places he can get a 302 pretty cheap. $1200-1500. Kieth Black or DSS are good budget 302's.

i got a cammed 306 short block forsale(link in sig) but would prefer pickup and would need something like AFR 185 heads with upgraded valve springs and such. it sould make close to 300 or more with them and a good intake

Ahh.. the old Redneck HP build. I've done a few with great results. Here was the last one we did.

-86 Mustang Gt block
-e7 Heads of an ole 5.0 truck (ground the exhust bump out, milled to increase compression)
- 289 High-Dome (high compression) pistions... we actually FOUND these in the trunk of an old torino in our JY.
- e303 cam (cheap and effective)
- Aluminum Eddy intake (can get em REAL cheap used off ebay)
- 650 CFM Avengar Carb (works *alright*)

Total build cost was around $900 bucks.

Result? 301 RWHP @ an estimated 11:1 compression ratio and it ran on pump gas no problem. (on a mustang dyno: Extreme Performance Elletsville Indiana)

You really can't beat that. Just remember, when doing it on the cheap you cannot beat compression. Its the redneck supercharger so to say.

Ahh.. the old Redneck HP build. I've done a few with great results. Here was the last one we did.

-86 Mustang Gt block
-e7 Heads of an ole 5.0 truck (ground the exhust bump out, milled to increase compression)
- 289 High-Dome (high compression) pistions... we actually FOUND these in the trunk of an old torino in our JY.
- e303 cam (cheap and effective)
- Aluminum Eddy intake (can get em REAL cheap used off ebay)
- 650 CFM Avengar Carb (works *alright*)

Total build cost was around $900 bucks.

Result? 301 RWHP @ an estimated 11:1 compression ratio and it ran on pump gas no problem. (on a mustang dyno: Extreme Performance Elletsville Indiana)

You really can't beat that. Just remember, when doing it on the cheap you cannot beat compression. Its the redneck supercharger so to say.

did it make 301 with or without accesories?

Say... pony how much did you mill the heads? Did you cc them? I was just wondering why you didn't get spark knock with pump gas?

Don't even remember what exactly they were milled to (did it about 4 years ago and since sold the engine on the classified section here). I would have to guess they got down the high 50's cc wise.

Its not like we ran 87 through it lol. 94 Octane from sunoco .. never tried anything lower but Im sure we could have gotten away with 93.. maybe 92.