Budget 351w options?

the lift on that cam is mild, so the springs you have are likely to be adequate, but new springs couldn't hurt.

not sure why you would need to change the rocker arms though ... the lift is low enough that even if it had 1.7s, there should be plenty of piston to valve clearance :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

the lift on that cam is mild, so the springs you have are likely to be adequate, but new springs couldn't hurt.

not sure why you would need to change the rocker arms though ... the lift is low enough that even if it had 1.7s, there should be plenty of piston to valve clearance :shrug:

Cool thanks, I appreciate the advice. I am going forth with the planning. Step 1 being getting the motor in with the Stage 1 cam, and step 2 getting the heads and supporting mods the year after.

Who knows maybe I will run across a set of nice used heads that I can afford between now and next winter, I just want to make sure I get everything I need for the swap before worrying about performance.

I will be taking a lot of pictures and keeping a progress log so that when I am done I can post it, maybe it will help somebody out in there decision to swap on a budget.

Now I cant wait for next winter to get here.

I still have a few questions though, if I leave the stock heads on could I get away with leaving the stock fuel pump, injectors, MAF and the such on until I get the aftermarket heads? Then once I get the heads and all the fuel/air control I will for sure get it tuned, since my setup wont be too strong I will at least make the most out of what I have with a good street tune.

with tfs H/C/I you'd be at 350rwhp (no problem), definatly go with the stage 2 cam(at least), more CI's make the cam seem smaller than it would feel on a 302 motor. Id probably run the 351 cam(if its roller) and 302 heads, till you can upgrade the heads (and fuel system all in one shot)

for fuel system Id go two 255 (in-tank and in-line) and at least 30lbs injectors, 42 at most.

with tfs H/C/I you'd be at 350rwhp (no problem), definatly go with the stage 2 cam(at least), more CI's make the cam seem smaller than it would feel on a 302 motor. Id probably run the 351 cam(if its roller) and 302 heads, till you can upgrade the heads (and fuel system all in one shot)

for fuel system Id go two 255 (in-tank and in-line) and at least 30lbs injectors, 42 at most.

Yeah that setup would produce some good numbers, however as silly as it sounds I am not really looking to squeeze all the HP I can out of the 351. It will be somewhat of a daily driver in the summer.

It is my summer cruiser and what I am really looking for is a MILD 351 setup, I know I could stick with the 302 but with 180k on the odometer I dont really want to put any money into it. And if I am going to take it out why not put a 351 in? I love the idea of the extra displacement, but it isnt about crazy HP for me. Plus I would like to get somewhat decent gas mileage out of it.

If I knew that the ported gt40 heads and stage one cam would make over 300rwhp I think I would go that route. With 24 lbs (maybe 30) injectors and bigger pump along with a bigger maf and TB, I think it would make a nice torqey daily driver. I think I also like the idea of iron heads on an iron block.:shrug:

I guess I am just wierd, I just got some 3.73's in and I am still not sure I like that much gear (I have only taken it for a quick test drive so I am not certain yet).

When I can afford 2 stangs I will have one cruiser and one hot rod, but for now I just want this one to stay my cruiser.

Once again I might just be completely off base and not making any sense to anybody but I never claimed to be sane.:cookie: