Budget front disc brake conversion

We are happy to announce an improved front disc conversion for 64-73 Mustangs, Falcons, Cougars and Mavericks. Our new setup uses either 68-69 Mustang($67 NAPA) or 70-73 Mustang($37 NAPA) rotors and S10 4WD calipers. These rotors of course have the small wheel register hub, so your vintage steel rims will fit. The S10 calipers use the standard GM metric pads, which are offered in many different compounds. The brackets bolt up to your stock 5 lug drum spindle, and mount to the rear so clearance is not an issue. The brackets are priced under $100/pair.

View attachment 494061

If you are interested, please tell us you saw in on StangNet...
We also offer a budget rear set for both Vintage and Fox Mustangs.

www.scarebird.com

• Sponsors (?)

The calipers have a 2-1/2" diameter piston, while the stock 68-73 Mustangs use a 2-3/8" piston.

184129.jpg

Image courtesy of Rockauto.com

Why don't you tell us how you made them and dimensions etc. That way it isn't spamming. And you become a hero like Opentracker. He does sell items, but he gives the information to everyone who wants to make them for themselves. He doesn't advertise, his customers do. His first sets of roller perches were test pieces given to members. Just my 2 cents. I'm not against mixing parts. I have a lot of Ford parts on my Mopar. It didn't go over well on the Mopar forums.

latamud said:
Why don't you tell us how you made them and dimensions etc. That way it isn't spamming. And you become a hero like Opentracker. He does sell items, but he gives the information to everyone who wants to make them for themselves. He doesn't advertise, his customers do. His first sets of roller perches were test pieces given to members. Just my 2 cents. I'm not against mixing parts. I have a lot of Ford parts on my Mopar. It didn't go over well on the Mopar forums.

Great suggestion for all new comers to StangNet with these types of things. John has done an OUTSTANDING job!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Scarebird said:
We are happy to announce an improved front disc conversion for 64-73 Mustangs, Falcons, Cougars and Mavericks. Our new setup uses either 68-69 Mustang($67 NAPA) or 70-73 Mustang($37 NAPA) rotors and S10 4WD calipers. These rotors of course have the small wheel register hub, so your vintage steel rims will fit. The S10 calipers use the standard GM metric pads, which are offered in many different compounds. The brackets bolt up to your stock 5 lug drum spindle, and mount to the rear so clearance is not an issue. The brackets are priced under $100/pair.

View attachment 493989

If you are interested, please tell us you saw in on StangNet...
We also offer a budget rear set for both Vintage and Fox Mustangs.

www.scarebird.com

ok ihave been interested for sometime now, but i do have one question, can you also use granada rotors with these brackets? the granada rotors use the same bearings as the V8 mustangs through 69. i realize that the wheel registers are larger.

oh and do you have brackets that use the chevy "B" body calipers?

The Granada rotors are a no-go; completely different size, they use different bearing (but can be swapped) and they have the wider register hub. GM's B body calipers are not a good hydraulic match. We found out today that if you change the inner bearing race on the 70-73 rotor, and press in the 68-69 race, you can use the cheaper 70-73 ($37 NAPA) rotor on the 64-69 spindles- so there is no reason to use the Granada rotors. Shipping to Blighty would be about $25.

Now, as far as giving out the dimensions... Our product is not just flame cut out of a scrap piece of boilerplate; we use a state of the art Trumpf CNC laser on cold rolled steel. The dimensions are critical, especially the stand-offs; they are precisely notched to fit into grooves and MIG welded. This is not a project for anybody but a journeyman metalworker. We do plan on licensing the design to outfits like Scott Drake if they care to manufacture in-house.

We usually announce a new design to the internet auto boards that may find it of interest. If this offends you, what can we say? A lot of boards have new product catagories- that's where we usually go. Our goal is to offer a budget solution that will tuck inside the stock rims- with no mods.

Limey, yes they are vented, and 1 inch thick. The 68-73 rotors were a heavier duty version of the 65-67 (and MUCH cheaper!).

Bullitt, we had an older design that required you to machine down the drum hub, and it used smaller (10-1/4") rotors. We installed it on a neighbor's 67 5.0 powered notchback. We drove it before the swap- it had manual drums, and was scary. You really had to give it a bootfull to stop. His wife was all of 5 foot-nothing, she could not drive it. We kept the manual setup and converted it over: manual disc master, drum distributuion valve, etc. It stops very well now, to me better than power because of better modulation and not as sensitive. Our new setup has 1" larger rotors and the same calipers, so should be even better.

Bullitt, we had an older design that required you to machine down the drum hub, and it used smaller (10-1/4") rotors. We installed it on a neighbor's 67 5.0 powered notchback. We drove it before the swap- it had manual drums, and was scary. You really had to give it a bootfull to stop. His wife was all of 5 foot-nothing, she could not drive it. We kept the manual setup and converted it over: manual disc master, drum distributuion valve, etc. It stops very well now, to me better than power because of better modulation and not as sensitive. Our new setup has 1" larger rotors and the same calipers, so should be even better.

The above is my car and what Scarebird says is correct. Even leaving it as a manual setup there is an improvement. There is less pedal effort...good feel, no fade noticed yet and after hitting large puddles (frequent problem here) the car stops true and straight unlike the drum setup. This car is my daily commuter and works great. I havn't tested it at the drag strip yet, (drums faded badly there) hopefully next year after the rear end sees some work. (donations welcome :rlaugh: )