Budget Rebuild Help?

Pvt_D

Feb 17, 2012
Ft. Gordon, GA
I serve in the Army National Guard, and I'm coming off of active duty status in about a week. Sadly, being an enlisted soldier doesn't pay too well, so I have about 2k i can commit to my motor. Its a 1972 302 pretty much stock right now, I want to freshen it up and hopefully add some power. I'm not trying to build a hardcore race engine, so what are some good ideas for how to spend 2 grand?

• Sponsors (?)

I just got retired from the air guard myself, I feel your pain. How much can you do on your own? Do you have tools, and another car to drive? For 2k, an upgraded electronic ignition, a new 600 Holley 4V and intake, as well as headers and new 2 1/2 inch exhaust would all be great improvements over a stock 2V engine. The local Craigs list can be your friend for some stuff, like a used intake..

sorry to say that $2000 does not go very far ,but it will get you a good started. for some reason ford parts cost a lot more than gm. you may get a carb. intake
headers and a cam .maybe a set of pistons and rings ,depends on cast or forged. seald power has a great cast piston .then you will need to get the block bored rods sized and pistons mounted,gasket set
high volume oil pump ,true roller chain and gear set and bearing set and the heads re built. i would make a list of what you want and go out and price it . like woodsnake said craigs list may help with intake 600 holley and used headers. if you do not need to do the internals $2000 may do it

If you goal is to get a good solid motor that will last for years, I strongly recommend looking into a crate motor. I bought mine from Tuff Dawg engines in Phoenix and have been thrilled with it. If I remember right it was something like $2600 delivered to my door and was new from top to bottom. It's a 302 with a reground crank, reconditioned rods, bored .030" over with KB hyperutectic (sp?) pistons, Comp Cams XE 268 cam, lifters, springs, pushrods and roller-tipped rockers in rebuilt 351W heads, a new Cloyes double roller timing chain, top-quality Fel-Pro gaskets and a new Edelbrock intake. It also has brand new things like an oil pan (no dimpled bolt holes to leak or stripped drain plugs!) and a new timing chain cover. When I first looked into this motor I emailed the shop and asked for a parts list and was surprised to see all new, name brand parts. I priced out the parts alone on my own to see if I could do better having it done locally, and I couldn't even buy the parts for that! Not to mention it comes with a warranty and mine is now five years old and doesn't leak a drop anywhere. I know it's a bit over your budget, but I'd save a little longer if that's an option.

Here's a link to the exact same engine I bought many years ago for the exact same price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-302-32...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2576cf2dce&vxp=mtr

if you have the needed tools, you can do most of the tear down and rebuild work yourself, and just pay for the machine work. as to buying parts, some parts will need to be bought new, pistons, bearings, rings, cam and lifters, etc. other parts can be bought used, intakes, heads, etc. you can stretch $2000 a long way if you are frugal, and can do a lot of the work yourself.

I wouldn't get the block machined unless you really need to. Start with a hot compression test and then decide if it really needs boring. I would also go with a good set of aluminum heads such as AFR 185 now and then add other parts as you can afford them. If you have to get the block machined I would recommend a 347 stroker kit. Then add parts as you can afford them. With a big heavy car the extra cubic inches will be nice.