Build 302 Or Swap For Crate?

robertdeuce

Jul 10, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade the motor in my 89 vert and I was wondering which direction I should go in.

I was thinking either rebuild the stock 302 with a vortech v3 supercharger
Or swap it out for a new crate motor.

My goal is to get somewhere near 500hp and not break the bank. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Get your motor built at a local machine shop. A lot of crate motors use core blocks. You never know what they've been through. At least take it to someone to have them check it out first.

If you can pull your motor and tear it down it'll be a lot cheaper to have the block checked. Having a motor built for you means you know exactly what's in it.

If you've got the money then a crate motor long block could be a good option. Some crate motor companies don't tell you exactly what your engine has been bored out to...or the bearing sizes.

I've installed a bunch of crate motors and haven't had an issue yet. I'm just the kind of guy that likes to know what's in my engine.

If you buy a crate motor figuring compression ratio can be tricky or almost impossible. Not knowing head gasket thickness, if the heads are decked, and what size over bore can alter what you expect to get out of a combo.

Now, if you can get all that info with it....then definitely go for it.

I just did a Google Search and a thread popped up from a forum where people were saying a 302 block can't handle 500whp. Is that true?
it depends. plenty of guys making that and more..plenty of guys splitting the blocks in half making much less hp. It's a combination of luck of the draw, having a proper tune, and how high you spin the motor.

Reactions: 1 user
If you genuinely want to put down 500+ whp, I'd probably start with a crate motor. With a goal like that, I'd consider it wise to investing in a quality motor to start as your foundation

Reactions: 1 users
IMG_0998.PNG
Fordstrokers.com

Reactions: 2 users
How would I know if the 302 that is in the car now is any good to build off of? It starts and drives that's all I know but is there something more specific that I need to look for?

How would I know if the 302 that is in the car now is any good to build off of? It starts and drives that's all I know but is there something more specific that I need to look for?

How many miles on that engine? Does it smoke or use a lot of oil? Have you run a compression test? If it's still in fair shape, doesn't have a ton of miles, and has good compression.. just put a set of decent heads, intake, cam, and a vortech on it. That will make 500 all day, and everything in the stock bottom end can handle it.. unless it's worn out.

I'll add to my above post, no point in spending a ton of money replacing stock bottom end parts if 500hp is your final goal.. it's pointless simply because a healthy stock bottom end is completely capable. If you have that, focus on boost and hci.

And if this sounds redundant and odd, I'm on nights and just woke up, lol.

Budget is probably around 5000-7000 ish
Might not be enough unless you're buying used. A "small" topend can get close to $3k (170cc ish heads) after all the stuff to make it work is figured in, and a supercharger is antother $2k+. $5k there and you haven't touched the block. I think a 170cc topend combo and a 6-8 lb psi would get you around 400 at the wheels.

Might not be enough unless you're buying used. A "small" topend can get close to $3k (170cc ish heads) after all the stuff to make it work is figured in, and a supercharger is antother $2k+. $5k there and you haven't touched the block. I think a 170cc topend combo and a 6-8 lb psi would get you around 400 at the wheels.
I'm inclined to agree. Years ago I paid 2700 for my head's alone. One of my mates got a good set of used trick flow r's for 700. I was never so lucky.

Reactions: 1 user