Bumper Tuck

He's not been around these parts for about 8 years, so unfortunately I don't think we're going to see any updated pics. :(

In fact, everyone who replied in this thread hasn't been around in quite some time. I wonder what they've been up to or if they're still involved with IIs.... :chin
Sorry to hear that. I found another thread somewhere else that use the fiberglass bumpers but cut them to fit like an older style, like a 66 Mustang. Though I had marked it, but seems I did not. Looked very good. Also asked my II guru and he said he used the bumper mounts from a 90's mustang. Said the bumper attached to a plastic brace. He is looking for his notes. Said to dump the whole II inner brace and shock due to weight.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear that. I found another thread somewhere else that use the fiberglass bumpers but cut them to fit like an older style, like a 66 Mustang. Though I had marked it, but seems I did not. Looked very good. Also asked my II guru and he said he used the bumper mounts from a 90's mustang. Said the bumper attached to a plastic brace. He is looking for his notes. Said to dump the whole II inner brace and shock due to weight.

Yeah, that inner brace is heavy! I've not heard of using a Fox piece in it's place, but I guess that would make sense. You'll have to remember to post up your findings, I'd like to see how it's done. I'm sure it could help others as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Been a while since this was posted. I am currently restoring a 1978 but converting to a Kind Cobra. Just started. I have wondered about doing this as I too don't like the way the bumpers stick out. Don't understand the limits using the new shorten bumpers now offered. Seems they have warning about this and that and they don''t conform. Hoping you have updated photos. Thanks
But you're more than welcome to hang out and show us your progress.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems I misunderstood my friends txt regarding using a FOX body bumper support. He made his. I will get details and pass along. I will be calling Classic Automotive Reproductions tomorrow for some advise. I want to make sure the tucked bumper works with the King Cobra kit. I will be painting my Mustang Viper Yellow. I called the company that makes the King Cobra decal set and will have a custom set in green. As we are big Oregon Duck football fans, yellow the green is the way to go!!

I have been disassembling parts getting ready for paint Very very little rust. Just around the hatch window. Taking hatch off Tuesday. Taking trim off now. Remembered the rear side glass must come off to get the chrome trim off. Will paint them trim black (SEM). I am thinking I should start a new thread for my project.??

Reactions: 3 users
Remembered the rear side glass must come off to get the chrome trim off. Will paint them trim black (SEM). I am thinking I should start a new thread for my project.??
On my 74 with fixed rear side windows they need to be pulled from the inside to remove the chrome trim.
Yes, do a new build thread and give us pictures :)
We will love to see you making progress on the car and it sounds like a nice plan you have with your MII.

It seems I misunderstood my friends txt regarding using a FOX body bumper support. He made his. I will get details and pass along. I will be calling Classic Automotive Reproductions tomorrow for some advise. I want to make sure the tucked bumper works with the King Cobra kit. I will be painting my Mustang Viper Yellow. I called the company that makes the King Cobra decal set and will have a custom set in green. As we are big Oregon Duck football fans, yellow the green is the way to go!!

I have been disassembling parts getting ready for paint Very very little rust. Just around the hatch window. Taking hatch off Tuesday. Taking trim off now. Remembered the rear side glass must come off to get the chrome trim off. Will paint them trim black (SEM). I am thinking I should start a new thread for my project.??
Yes, do a new build thread and give us pictures :)
We will love to see you making progress on the car and it sounds like a nice plan you have with your MII.

I agree! A progress thread would be great to see, but also great for documentation for yourself!

A place on line called Classic Auto Reproductions builds different styles of bumper covers for our Mustangs. I've bought a front R apron and a rear rollpan from as well as other stuff. The bumpers and quality seem to be fine. Give them a look. No I don't work for them just a customer.